Specs:
    Late '09 Macbook Pro 13"
    What is Terminal for?
    As the title says, what is the Mac Terminal used for?...or more specifically, is the Terminal something that an average Mac user will ever need to use? Thanks.
    Don't believe anything I tell you, unless it is consistent with what you already know to be true, or unless you have taken the time to research the matter to prove its accuracy to your satisfaction. This is known as "doing your homework."

Specs:
    2011 13" MBP 2.3ghz, 8gig ram, OS 10.8.5
    Here are some links that hopefully are helpful:

The Mac Terminal: An Introduction | MacApper
    Top 50 Terminal Commands | Mac Tricks And Tips
    25 Terminal Tips Every Mac User Should Know | Mac|Life

Word of warning...you can REALLY mess things up if you do the wrong things in "Terminal"!

HTH,

- Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

Specs:
    Late '09 Macbook Pro 13"
    Thank you.
    Don't believe anything I tell you, unless it is consistent with what you already know to be true, or unless you have taken the time to research the matter to prove its accuracy to your satisfaction. This is known as "doing your homework."

Specs:
    2011 13" MBP 2.3ghz, 8gig ram, OS 10.8.5
    Quote Originally Posted by wavinwayne View Post
    Thank you.
    You're welcome.

- Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

Specs:
    27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 6S, iPod Nano 7th GeniPad 3
    I use it cuz I'm just faster with the command line than the GUI. I come from a strong Linux background so that helps.

The normal user would most likely use it for a special command or two or to work around some issue that the UI just isn't allowing them to do..

Regards

Specs:
    Late '09 Macbook Pro 13"
    I've always been afraid of the Terminal, and after reading the linked articles, it looks as if I have good reason to fear it's potential. The last time I used the command line on a computer was back in the DOS days. I didn't like it then, and can't imagine using it now, except for maybe a special command or two, as Raz0rEdge mentioned.

Specs:
    21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
    Im not big on terminal but if a member that is UNIX based can give you a fix around then im all for it.
    IE : I dont like dashboard and even when its not up the DAshboard client takes up a lot of memory. I Put it out there and McYukon found me a way to Kill the Dashboard and now im dashboard free...

One thing i will say is if you play and set something a certain way with a terminal command, make sure you have a way to put it back. After my play with it i now have a Terminal folder for the backward commands

Cheers
    Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
    Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
    MoTM ☆☆☆

Specs:
    2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)
    It can be very powerful and can make certain things much easier but my advice would be to not use it if the GUI does everything you need it to. If you feel like learning how to use it, that's great (being a big *nix nerd, I like to convert as many people as possible) but be careful.
    Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
    M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
    Writing a Quality Post

Specs:
    21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
    Quote Originally Posted by vansmith View Post
    that's great (being a big *nix nerd, I like to convert as many people as possible) but be careful.
    And i read in another thread on terminal too that the best bet is to set up a VM or something so you cant bugger things up ?? Was i reading right ?? If so might have to find the easiest way to set up a VM then ... Somehow lol
    Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
    Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
    MoTM ☆☆☆

Specs:
    2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)
    That's my recommendation. OS X uses bash by default which is commonly the default shell in Linux distributions as well. Therefore, if you set up a Linux distribution in a virtual machine, you can fool around with Bash as much as you want with no fear that it will affect your OS X install. Now, there are some differences but for the most part, much is the same (or similar enough).
    Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
    M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
    Writing a Quality Post

Thread Information