New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

PowerBook G4 Target Disc Mode problem

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Stuerror

Stuerror is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MBP 15" Late 2011 2.2ghz i7, 8GB RAM, 128GB OCZ-VERTEX4 SSD, 500GB SATA HD

Hi

I've been trying to intall Leopard on my PowerBook G4 but the drive in it will not read Dual Layer discs so i have decided to go the route of target disc mode with my MacBook.

However, when putting the PowerBook G4 in Firewire mode the HD will not show on my MacBook to install the OS.

It doesn't appear anywhere not even in disc utility.
The PowerBook is running Tiger atm with no HD issues.

Can anybody lend a helping hand?
Could the firewire port have broken?

Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
roflitskyle

roflitskyle has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: MacBook Unibody 13" 150 GB HDD

Try downloading the demo of Mac Data Rescue, Computer Data Recovery, Data Recovery Disk - Prosofteng.com

If you find the files you want to recover you will have to buy the app to recover them.

Good luck.
QUOTE Thanks
Stuerror

Mac Specs: MBP 15" Late 2011 2.2ghz i7, 8GB RAM, 128GB OCZ-VERTEX4 SSD, 500GB SATA HD

I dont want to recover any files I just want to install a new OS X on my PowerBook G4 using my Macbook via a firewire cable.
But.... my MacBook does not see my PowerBook G4's HD
QUOTE Thanks
roflitskyle

roflitskyle has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: MacBook Unibody 13" 150 GB HDD

Boot your PowerBook first before putting in Snow Leopard.
QUOTE Thanks
Stuerror

Yes my PowerBook is on and in Target Disc mode and connected to my MacBook but the powerbook HD is not showing up on my MacBook's desktop.

How do I get it to see it?

By the way it's Leopard, Snow Leopard does not work on PowerBooks
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS 10.10.1

Was Leopard installed on the MacBook using the original install discs by any chance? If so and you want Leopard on the G4 look for a full retail install DVD of Leopard. Take it your PB is +867MHz processor speed.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
Stuerror

my MacBook has Snow Leopard on it... does that make any difference?

No my PowerBook G4 is a 1.5GHZ one but has had the disc drive replaced. Perhaps it doesn't have the right firmware for the drive?
Every other disc works apart from Dual layers....
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute

Who knows? Who did the optical drive replacement for you? All standard DVD readers will read DL discs no problem. They will just not burn them. Maybe the MBP with Snow Leopard just will not recognize a PPC machine.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
Stuerror

hmmm strange
Im really lost... I think maybe the firewire post has broken on my PowerBook or the cable itself is broken.
Dont know why the disk drive doesnt read the disk though, that is strange :s
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

May well the the Partition Tables. The Intel MBP is set up as GUID and the PowerPC G4 to Apple Partition Map.

QUOTE Thanks
polyphake

polyphake is on a distinguished road

I was struggling with similar problems upgrading my G4 powerbook to 10.5.

after installing 10.5 from the CD my powerbook got stuck at the "blue screen of death", not doing anything.

what helped were the following steps:

-connect powerbook to other machine via fire wire
-start up powerbook in target mode (press T while starting up)
-start other machine
(a few times the HD was not accessible for me, i tried repairing it, nothing, disk was detected, but inaccessable. this problem dissappeared after another startup with the helper/machine on already. dont know why)
-find harddisk of your powerbook
-go to: system: library : systemConfiguration and DELETE this file: ApplicationEnhancer.bundle
-don't delete anything else!
-shut down & disconnect from fire wire
-restart (& be patient)
-voila

why that is u can find here:
Mac OS X 10.5: "Blue screen" appears after installing Leopard and restarting

might safe u from a headache
greets,
polyphake
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Mac book sound problem | Changing to Apple mail: importing contacts from old mail »