New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Unknown app

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

gwillmorris

gwillmorris is on a distinguished road

Hello! I'm new to macs and am in the process of setting up 13" macbook pros for me and the Mrs. I'm having a little trouble with mine and have noticed this application (see screenshot) called my progress bar. I can't see it on my wife's mac and I didn't install it myself. I can't find any info about it on the web and can't delete it. Can anyone tell me what it is? Should I be worried about it?

Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen shot 2011-01-09 at 21.06.13.jpg (108.5 KB, 14 views)
QUOTE Thanks
McYukon

McYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP i7 2.7 GHz 15" Matte - 16 GB RAM - 120 GB Intel SSD - 500 GB DataDoubler Mac OS 10.9

Hi!
Open the "Sharing and Permissions" flippy triangle in the bottom of the info window, click the lock, type in the admin name and password, set the Everybody permissions to Read/Write and dump it.
From what I can tell online it is a 3party Applescript Progress Bar, so no problem in deleting it.
Just curious, is this a used Mac? In that case you might want to reinstall the OS first it make sure you have a clean OS free of whatever junk may have been installed by the previous owner.

Use the reputation system if a post helps you!
Mac Forums IRC Channel - Help build it by hanging out with us
The next sentence is true. The previous sentence is false.
QUOTE Thanks
gwillmorris

It's a brand new mac, I only noticed the app a few days ago and I'm not sure where its come from. I've not installed any cracked or pirated software. I've run a virus scan and nothing as come up. I set the permissions and tried to delete it again but it says it can't be deleted as it is in use. I've closed all progs and gone to 'force quit' and closed everything. I can't see it in there either.
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4 and OS X.10

Go into Computer/Users/gwillmorris/Desktop and drag it to the trash.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
gwillmorris

Thanks guys

Unfortunately that doesn't work as it says it cant be deleted because it is open. If I click on the icon nothing opens. I've attached a screenshot of the package contents if that's any help.
Attached Images
File Type: png Screen shot 2011-01-10 at 00.13.09.png (887.8 KB, 5 views)
QUOTE Thanks
McYukon

McYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP i7 2.7 GHz 15" Matte - 16 GB RAM - 120 GB Intel SSD - 500 GB DataDoubler Mac OS 10.9

Make sure that the application is in the Trash and then go under the "Finder" menu and while holding down the option key click on "Secure Empty Trash".
In this way I have managed to empty a lot of stubborn Trash items.

Use the reputation system if a post helps you!
Mac Forums IRC Channel - Help build it by hanging out with us
The next sentence is true. The previous sentence is false.
QUOTE Thanks
gwillmorris

Unfortunately I cant even get it into my trash because it wont let me move it, it constantly says it is open
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

System Preferences - Accounts

Remove it from startup items

Log out and back in - should now be able to delete it

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Memtest | Need Help with Deleting Old Time Machine Files »