New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Need Help with Deleting Old Time Machine Files

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

drgrafix

drgrafix is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 24" iMac Aluminum/2.8GHz/500GB/6MB/Lacie Quadra1TBTM,MBPro13 wSSD, AirportX, iPhone4G,ATV1

I recently had a Time Machine external drive go dead on me, but before it completely died, I copied a bunch of backups.backupdb files and because I didn't know any better, I simply moved them into a spot within my user directory. Anyway, I've decided that I don't really need those files (15 backup folders) and my new Time Machine drive is filled to the brim (990GB of 1TB) backing up 300G on my root HDD. I have no way of knowing how big those 15 folders are because I can't simply call up INFO and get a size... it calculates for hours.

So... I went into the Time Machine utility and pointed at the 15 folders and asked it to delete them. Its been just over 24 hours now and there's no progress that I can see. The directory looks the same... the folders are highlighted in yellow. I'm tempted to simply move them to the TRASH, and then empty the trash permanently. I don't need anything from those folders and otherwise, my iMac seems to be running just fine.

Before I make the move, I figured I'd ask for some advice and maybe figure out why the files are _not_ being deleted or why there's no progress bar or notification that something is taking place. I'm also wondering how much of my new TM Drive is being used to "save" those files and how to make sure I can eliminate them.

Without Curiosity, Intelligence Is Nonexistent
Aging Grandpa drives a Supercharged Ford SVT Lightning & Mini Cooper-S Turbo
QUOTE Thanks
frankmezz

frankmezz is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac 21 inch

I have a 1 TB WD (actually 2 TB but i have raid 1 set) for my time machine backup. every few months something goes wrong. Actually, as i type this i am back to my first backup on my TM since I started getting an message saying my TM backup file was "read only' and the backup failed. (this happened right after my system upgrade to the Apple Store) . I reformated the drive and started over. I am exposed without a backup for the 15 or so hours it takes to make the first backup, but i have no choice. Well yes, i do since i am buying a second WD drive to switch TM between machines. I too had a drive go bad 25 years ago and i am still paranoid about backups. (i have 562GB to backup to TM)

I have Carbonite going but its going to take about a year to get the first backup. what a waste of time that is. its starts out 4GB a day but slows down after 125GB or so to a crawl. its not my system, its an undocumented feature according to the helpdesk at Carbonite. I even offered to pay more to increase my backup speed. (i have 422GB in my user file that i am trying to put in the cloud. its been backing up since November 7 and only 159GB have moved)
QUOTE Thanks
drgrafix

Mac Specs: 24" iMac Aluminum/2.8GHz/500GB/6MB/Lacie Quadra1TBTM,MBPro13 wSSD, AirportX, iPhone4G,ATV1

So you think my mac _is_ deleting the files? At a snail's pace?

QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4

Try SuperDuper. The registered version used Smart Backup and a weekly backup of all your files will take less than twenty minutes. Time Machine does not impress me for one.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
drgrafix

I'm just trying to _delete_ old unwanted TM files that I have no use for. I just wish TM had a progress bar that showed exactly that... the progress of the deletion process. I am tempted to just reformat the TM drive and start over since I just installed it about 10 days ago. Would super Duper go into TM and properly delete files that I select?

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Unknown app | OS Leopard and the Blue Screen of Death! »