New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Arrange Lists in File by date

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

edlo

edlo is on a distinguished road

I have OS 10.5.8 operating on a six year old G5. (non intel). I would like to order the lists on some of my files by date created or date modified. This option is available if I use Icons but is not available when I select to view by list. As I recall, my old G3 with OS9 used to be capable of doing this. Is there a way that I can do this with my current configuration? I have been told that an intel system operating with OS 10.6.6 is capable of doing this.
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

Is this what you mean ?? I did this in Applications and then did the cmd~J and it bought up the box you see in the image on the left. I then clicked Date Created and then went to the top and clicked the Date Created tab on the main window. Then as you can see all the Applications are now arranged as they where created/Modified See Image

Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
MoTM ☆☆☆
QUOTE Thanks
edlo

Thank you. I did as you suggested and note that my folder is arranged by date with the latest at the top except as I noted in your example (applications window) 2010 is located below 2009. That is, there is a disconnect there at the year to year transition. I would prefer that the last item be at the bottom and the earliest at the top throughout over multiple years. Do you have any way to do this.
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

Just click on the the Modified/Created bar a 2nd time and it should re arrange them to earliest to latest .. . .

Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
MoTM ☆☆☆
QUOTE Thanks
edlo

I take it back. I found that merely clicking on the date created or the date modified at the top of the page arranged by date with no discontinuity at the year transition as I observed on the prior post example. I would still like to arrange from earliest to latest rather than latest to earliest.
QUOTE Thanks
KrazeeMonkee

KrazeeMonkee is on a distinguished road

Hey edlo, I was wondering if you ever found a solution to organizing content from oldest to newest? Please let me know if you did. Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
toMACsh

toMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to all
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core 2 Duo

See the image in post #2...

There's a little triangle in the highlighted heading. Click that heading again, and the triangle flips over, and the order the files are sorted in reverses.
QUOTE Thanks
KrazeeMonkee

KrazeeMonkee is on a distinguished road

Thanks toMACsh, that definitely achieves reversing the "date created" order but only in the "list view." I was really hoping to do the same thing but for the "icon view."
QUOTE Thanks
toMACsh

toMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to all
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core 2 Duo

Start reading from the bottom, right to left.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Scroll arrows are gone in Mountain Lion | MacBook Pro Internal Memory Upgrade »