New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Upgrading Tiger to (Leopard, Snow Leopard or...HELP!)

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

wilkesep3

wilkesep3 is on a distinguished road

Hey everyone,

I recently purchased an iPhone 4 @ AT&T. When I went home to connect it to my MacBook Pro (2007 2.2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM), I received a message that essentially said "cannot connect iPhone to computer because your OS is wayyyy too old!"

I am running Tiger on my MacBook Pro, so I was interested in finding out how I can purchase the right OS X to upgrade it so that my phone will recognize the iTunes I have on the computer. Can I buy the bundle that is on Apple's website right now (the Mac Box Set with Mac OS X Snow Leopard, iLife '11 and iWork), or do I need to buy Leopard first and THEN get Snow Leopard? Essentially, can I directly upgrade to Snow Leopard from Tiger, or do I have to go sequentially (Upgrade from Tiger to Leopard, then upgrade from Leopard to Snow Leopard). Hopefully I don't have to go sequentially, because that is EXPENSIVE!

Any help is greatly appreciated guys and girls! Thank you!
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilkesep3 View Post
Hey everyone,

I recently purchased an iPhone 4 @ AT&T. When I went home to connect it to my MacBook Pro (2007 2.2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM), I received a message that essentially said "cannot connect iPhone to computer because your OS is wayyyy too old!"
This is a very common situation. All you need to do is purchase the $29 Snow Leopard 10.6 disk to update your OS. You do not need to go thru Leopard (10.5) first.

HTH,

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
toMACsh

toMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to all
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core 2 Duo

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
All you need to do is purchase the $29 Snow Leopard 10.6 disk to update your OS.
Ahhhh.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilkesep3 View Post
HHopefully I don't have to go sequentially, because that is EXPENSIVE!
It's supposed to be expensive. That's how Apple pays for the development of new stuff. They have to make money.

No, you don't have to install Leopard before you install Snow Leopard. You do have an Intel processor, so SL will install on it.

bites tongue
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by toMACsh View Post
Ahhhh.

bites tongue
Yes I know...this is one of your favorite topics!

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by toMACsh View Post

bites tongue
Quote:
Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
Yes I know...this is one of your favorite topics!

- Nick

But lets be grateful that the OP hasnt said "Oh why oh why has Apple done this too me and there making me upgrade, dont they think of others with lesser OS Grrrr"

CogFrog Studio's ~ Photography, Apps and Web Development
Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS X.10

Or "How do I install a .dmg file of Snow Leopard I have downloaded from a pirate site?"

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Applications Folder sorting | RAID 0: Online in Disk Utility Cannot access or Mount »