Specs:
    Model Name: MacBook Model Identifier: MacBook6,1 Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo Processor Sp
    Talking Software Update won't connect to Software Update Server
    Hi,
    This is my first thread and I need some help. When I updated from Mac OS X 10.6.4 to 10.6.5, I noticed that Software Update would not update. I got this error message:
    The Software Update Server ((null)) is not responding.

Check to make sure your network connection is operating normally. If there are no issues with your connection, contact your network administrator for assistance.

I then downloaded the 10.6.5 Combo Update and installed that, but it wouldn't work.

I downloaded the 10.6.6 Combo Update the day it came out, hoping that would solve my problem, but it didn't. I've tried many solutions. I've tried to remove the com.apple.SoftwareUpdate.plist file, I've tried to create a new admin account, everything I can think of, but nothing works. Anything would be great!

Thanks,
    som jelly 1

Quote Originally Posted by som jelly 1 View Post
    Hi,
    This is my first thread and I need some help. When I updated from Mac OS X 10.6.4 to 10.6.5, I noticed that Software Update would not update. I got this error message:
    The Software Update Server ((null)) is not responding.

Check to make sure your network connection is operating normally. If there are no issues with your connection, contact your network administrator for assistance.

I then downloaded the 10.6.5 Combo Update and installed that, but it wouldn't work.

I downloaded the 10.6.6 Combo Update the day it came out, hoping that would solve my problem, but it didn't. I've tried many solutions. I've tried to remove the com.apple.SoftwareUpdate.plist file, I've tried to create a new admin account, everything I can think of, but nothing works. Anything would be great!

Thanks,
    som jelly 1
    It looks like you've tried most anything that would be recommended. Just to be sure, did you delete the plist in the root Library? Here's a list recommended in a thread on Apple's Support forums of everywhere to check:
    Apple - Support - Discussions - Software Update Problem ...

If everything short of a reinstall fails for you, then it likely is a reinstall you are facing. If you really feel up to the challenge and have a dual-boot option available to you (or another Mac that you can use Target Disk Mode with), I suggest making a safe backup of your installation, then delete /Library (NOT the user Library and most certainly NOT /System/Library). Yes… I do mean delete it (you can always recover from your backup if need be). You'd really need to be booted from some other partition or boot drive to do this easily, or via another Mac via TDM. Once deleted, boot back into that install and OS X will build a virgin copy of /Library. Hopefully that will fix your problem and avoid a flat out reinstall, though you may have to reinstall a few things.

Specs:
    Model Name: MacBook Model Identifier: MacBook6,1 Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo Processor Sp
    Hi, thank you for helping me out. I have a HUGE problem though - I don't have the install disks. My computer was bought through the school I go to and they never gave me the install disks.

Specs:
    MacBook Unibody 13" 150 GB HDD
    Is there a way you could get the install disks? Ask for them?

Specs:
    Imac 27" Retina 3.3GHz, 512GB Flash, 16GB memory, OS X.11.4.
    Because without those discs you do have a HUGE problem. They are vital for troubleshooting and re-installing.
    Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!

Specs:
    Wink Thanks
    Hey,
    I got the install disks. now what do I do? Thanks for all your help in advance!

Specs:
    MacBook Unibody 13" 150 GB HDD
    Booting From An OS X Installer Disc:

1. Insert OS X Installer Disc into the optical drive.
    2. Restart the computer.
    3. Immediately after the chime press and hold down the "C" key.
    4. Release the key when the spinning gear below the dark gray Apple logo appears.
    5. Wait for installer to finish loading.

Specs:
    thanx alot guys! I finally got it working. Ill tell you what i did.

1. I reinstaller Snow Leapord.
    2. i tested SU and it worked
    3. I downloaded and installed the 10.6.6 install package
    4. i recovered my user account from my time machine backup
    5. i tested SU again but it didnt work
    6. i did some research and entered this command in terminal:
    sudo defaults delete /Library/Preferences/com.apple.SoftwareUpdate CatalogURL
    7. SU worked. It was a problem with the update server. I think i accedently changed it when messing around in a preference pane called SECRETS.

Thread Information