New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Might have accidentally wiped out OSX and can't recover

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Fooch

Fooch is on a distinguished road

I have a Mac mini that I just bought. I used Boot Camp to partition the drive 50/50. I then took the option to install windows 7 from the disk. On install I installed on the non-primary partition and it looks like it installed over OSX. It only boots in Windows and when I type OPT at startup the only partition there is the Windows partition. When in windows, in control panel, I see that there are 4 partitions. Two NTFS partitions, looks like windows and a recovery one. And two that is just shows as blank partitions that is doesn't recognize. I think those are the OSX partition and the OSX recovery partition.

Since the Mac mini doesn't come with an OSX cd, how am I supposed to get OSX back? If i could just get it back to the way it was I would be happy. Can anyone help? I search all over and can't find out how to do this.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fooch View Post
Since the Mac mini doesn't come with an OSX cd, how am I supposed to get OSX back? If i could just get it back to the way it was I would be happy. Can anyone help? I search all over and can't find out how to do this.
VERY easy answer. Go to your nearest local Apple Store and purchase a Snow Leopard (OS 10.6) install disk for $29 dollars (or order it from the Apple Online Store).

Then reformat your hard drive, install OS 10.6, repartition as necessary, and install Windows 7.

HTH,

- Nick

- Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

You didn't accidentally install Windows 7 over OS X because Windows 7 will not install on a HFS formatted partition. It will only install on a NTFS partition. What you did was somehow remove or wipe the HFS partition by incorrect partitioning. And.. there is no such thing as a NTFS recovery partition for Windows 7 or a recovery partition for OS X.

Like Nick said, you need to start over by first purchasing a copy of Snow Leopard. And before attempting to install Windows again, make sure you read through all the instructions first.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Unable To Remove Preinstalled Applications | CFAgent on my macbook »