Thread: Snow Leopard?

Snow Leopard?

Snow Leopard?
    To get the app store, I have to have snow leopard. What exactly is this? What will this do to my macbook if I download it? Or can I even download it? It currently shows Mac OS X Version 10.5.8

Snow Leopard?
    Specs:
    2012 MBP i7 2.7 GHz 15" Matte - 16 GB RAM - 120 GB Intel SSD - 500 GB DataDoubler Mac OS 10.9
    You have Leopard (10.5.x), Snow Leopard is Mac OS 10.6.x and is a major system upgrade.
    You can upgrade it if you want to by buying the 29$ upgrade disks from Apple or Amazon
    Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard - Apple Store (U.S.)

Here are all the new features compared to leopard.
    Apple - Mac OS X Snow Leopard - Refining the user experience

If you choose to update, make sure you have a backup of your system on an external HD.
    Then install Snow Leopard and after that run Software Update under the Apple menu, it will have an update listed that will install the App Store.
    Use the reputation system if a post helps you!
    Mac Forums IRC Channel - Help build it by hanging out with us
    The next sentence is true. The previous sentence is false.

Snow Leopard?
    Specs:
    2011 13" MBP 2.3ghz, 8gig ram, OS 10.7.5
    You have Mac OS 10.5.8 installed on your MacBook...Snow Leopard is Mac OS 10.6 (the newest version of the Mac OS).

Snow Leopard is NOT a downloadable application...you must buy it from the Apple Store online, other online stores, or go to your nearest Apple Store to buy it.

If you want/need to use the "App. Store"...and you need Snow Leopard (OS 10.6)...then you need to purchase & install Snow Leopard first.

HTH,

- Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

Snow Leopard?

Thanks for the info. Doubt I'll mess with it. If I find an app on apple's website, will I have any trouble downloading it, or will I need snow leopard to even do that?

Snow Leopard?
    Specs:
    Quote Originally Posted by stumpleg View Post
    Thanks for the info. Doubt I'll mess with it. If I find an app on apple's website, will I have any trouble downloading it, or will I need snow leopard to even do that?
    Your initial post said that you NEEDED Snow Leopard to use the App. Store (I'm trusting that this is true...since you wrote it). I'm not sure how you determined this...or if it's actually true or not.

If you're not sure...and if you could explain the details of what you're trying to do...we may be able to answer things more definitively.

Just trying to help,

- Nick
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup

Snow Leopard?
    Specs:
    2012 MBP i7 2.7 GHz 15" Matte - 16 GB RAM - 120 GB Intel SSD - 500 GB DataDoubler Mac OS 10.9
    The App Store is included in the Mac OS 10.6.6 update, and as far as I could find out there isn't another way to get it.

Snow Leopard?

Quote Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
    Your initial post said that you NEEDED Snow Leopard to use the App. Store (I'm trusting that this is true...since you wrote it). I'm not sure how you determined this...or if it's actually true or not.

If you're not sure...and if you could explain the details of what you're trying to do...we may be able to answer things more definitively.

Just trying to help,

- Nick
    I understand. I don't have snow leopard. I didn't know if it was just something that I download or such. Now that I know that there is a little more involved, I don't need the app store that bad. I've gotten by just fine, so don't know how many, or even what apps I'd be interested in.

Snow Leopard?
    Specs:
    Quote Originally Posted by stumpleg View Post
    I understand. I don't have snow leopard. I didn't know if it was just something that I download or such. Now that I know that there is a little more involved, I don't need the app store that bad. I've gotten by just fine, so don't know how many, or even what apps I'd be interested in.
    Like "McYukon" mentioned...the "App. Store" is included with Mac OS update 10.6.6. The Snow Leopard install disk is $29 dollars (very reasonable since previous Mac OS updates as significant as this cost upwards of $129).

Doing the Snow Leopard upgrade is not really very difficult at all. You first backup any important files...then you restart your computer (booting from the Snow Leopard disk)...then follow the onscreen instructions.

But if you've decided that Snow Leopard is not for you at the moment...that's good as well. It will be there when you need it.

- Nick

Snow Leopard?
    Specs:
    Here, browse the App Store without a Store!
    Utilities - Mac App Store Downloads on iTunes

Snow Leopard?
    Specs:
    27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, iPhone 6+, 3 iPods, Yosemite
    That's really helpful McYukon. Looks like everyone can access the Mac app store. I wondered if Apple was limiting it to only those who had 10.6.6 as it didn't make sense to exclude those folks who were still running Leopard or earlier versions of OS X.

Snow Leopard?
    Specs:
    Mac Mini Core 2 Duo
    Quote Originally Posted by McYukon View Post
    You have Leopard (10.5.x), Snow Leopard is Mac OS 10.6.x and is a major system upgrade.
    Well, that's debatable.

Quote Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
    The Snow Leopard install disk is $29 dollars (very reasonable since previous Mac OS updates as significant as this cost upwards of $129).
    There's my evidence. I rest my case.

Snow Leopard?
    Specs:
    Agree totally, so lets say "Snow Leopard is Mac OS 10.6.x and is a more refined version of Leopard"

Snow Leopard?
    Specs:
    Quote Originally Posted by McYukon View Post
    Agree totally, so lets say "Snow Leopard is Mac OS 10.6.x and is a more refined version of Leopard"
    Yeah...sometimes you have to wonder (with 10.6 only costing $29 bucks)...if 10.6.0 was simply 10.5.8 with the PPC code removed.

Of course now that we're on Snow Leopard version 10.6.6...hopefully some useful "stuff" has been added since 10.5.8.

- Nick

Thread Information