New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Accidentally deleted folder - please help!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

olicorse

olicorse is on a distinguished road

Hi,

I recently added a folder to my Finder sidebar. When I no longer needed it I hit cmd+backspace instead of dragging it off and now it's gone.

I checked my trash but the original folder was on a shared server and I can't find it anywhere.

Please tell me if there is a way to get it back as it contains about a month's worth of work and I am going to be in serious trouble if it's gone!

Thank you in advance.

Oli
QUOTE Thanks
MightyGem

MightyGem is a jewel in the roughMightyGem is a jewel in the roughMightyGem is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. White MacBook, 10.8.5. iPhone 3GS.

Folders in the Sidebar are just Aliases(Shortcuts). Your original folder should be where it was when you dragged it into the Sidebar.
QUOTE Thanks
olicorse

That's the problem, instead of dragging it off the sidebar I pressed cmd+backspace, therefore deleting it properly.

It also isn't in the trash because its original location was a shared server.
QUOTE Thanks
technologist

technologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)

Then it wasn't a folder, it was a mounted server. Go back and connect to the server again.
QUOTE Thanks
olicorse

I don't understand. The folder was on the shared server and I deleted it from my computer by mistake. When you say 'connect to the server again' I never disconnected from it in the first place...
QUOTE Thanks
McBie

McBie is a splendid one to beholdMcBie is a splendid one to beholdMcBie is a splendid one to beholdMcBie is a splendid one to beholdMcBie is a splendid one to beholdMcBie is a splendid one to beholdMcBie is a splendid one to beholdMcBie is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 2013 MBA 13" - OS X 10.10.1

Let's cut some corners ..... do you have a backup of this folder ?

Cheers ... McBie

A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any invention in human history - with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila.
The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude towards the problem. You understand ?
QUOTE Thanks
olicorse

Unfortunately I don't have a backup.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by olicorse View Post
I don't understand. The folder was on the shared server and I deleted it from my computer by mistake. When you say 'connect to the server again' I never disconnected from it in the first place...
You disconnected from the server when you deleted it from the sidebar.

Open Finder - head for the Go menu and select 'Connect to server' option.

Or, are you saying, you are still connected to the server, but when you browse the server contents, you do not find the folder in question?

(Why are you using any type of 'delete' option on anything you do not want to delete? Finder is not allowing me to remove anything from the sidebar with the command you've noted.)

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
MightyGem

MightyGem is a jewel in the roughMightyGem is a jewel in the roughMightyGem is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. White MacBook, 10.8.5. iPhone 3GS.

Quote:
Finder is not allowing me to remove anything from the sidebar with the command you've noted.
Same here.
QUOTE Thanks
MacDude121

MacDude121 is a glorious beacon of lightMacDude121 is a glorious beacon of lightMacDude121 is a glorious beacon of lightMacDude121 is a glorious beacon of lightMacDude121 is a glorious beacon of lightMacDude121 is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: Black MacBook 2.2GHz C2D, 4GB Ram - iMac G4 700MHz, 512MB Ram

Have you tried searching for the folder in spotlight? Maybe it was moved to some odd place.
QUOTE Thanks
olicorse

Bobtomay - yeah the second option. I am still connected to the server, but the folder on the server is deleted...
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« ichat video/audio not working? | Memtest »