Mac Forums

Mac Forums (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/)
-   OS X - Operating System (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/os-x-operating-system/)
-   -   Accidentally deleted folder - please help! (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/os-x-operating-system/225473-accidentally-deleted-folder-please-help.html)

olicorse 01-06-2011 09:04 AM

Accidentally deleted folder - please help!

Hi,

I recently added a folder to my Finder sidebar. When I no longer needed it I hit cmd+backspace instead of dragging it off and now it's gone.

I checked my trash but the original folder was on a shared server and I can't find it anywhere.

Please tell me if there is a way to get it back as it contains about a month's worth of work and I am going to be in serious trouble if it's gone!

Thank you in advance.

Oli

MightyGem 01-06-2011 10:12 AM

Folders in the Sidebar are just Aliases(Shortcuts). Your original folder should be where it was when you dragged it into the Sidebar.

olicorse 01-06-2011 10:21 AM

That's the problem, instead of dragging it off the sidebar I pressed cmd+backspace, therefore deleting it properly.

It also isn't in the trash because its original location was a shared server.

technologist 01-06-2011 11:06 AM

Then it wasn't a folder, it was a mounted server. Go back and connect to the server again.

olicorse 01-06-2011 11:28 AM

I don't understand. The folder was on the shared server and I deleted it from my computer by mistake. When you say 'connect to the server again' I never disconnected from it in the first place...

McBie 01-06-2011 11:37 AM

Let's cut some corners ..... do you have a backup of this folder ?

Cheers ... McBie

olicorse 01-07-2011 04:00 AM

Unfortunately I don't have a backup.

bobtomay 01-07-2011 07:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by olicorse (Post 1164914)
I don't understand. The folder was on the shared server and I deleted it from my computer by mistake. When you say 'connect to the server again' I never disconnected from it in the first place...

You disconnected from the server when you deleted it from the sidebar.

Open Finder - head for the Go menu and select 'Connect to server' option.

Or, are you saying, you are still connected to the server, but when you browse the server contents, you do not find the folder in question?

(Why are you using any type of 'delete' option on anything you do not want to delete? Finder is not allowing me to remove anything from the sidebar with the command you've noted.)

MightyGem 01-07-2011 03:44 PM

Quote:

Finder is not allowing me to remove anything from the sidebar with the command you've noted.
Same here.

MacDude121 01-07-2011 07:40 PM

Have you tried searching for the folder in spotlight? Maybe it was moved to some odd place. :|

olicorse 01-10-2011 05:27 AM

Bobtomay - yeah the second option. I am still connected to the server, but the folder on the server is deleted...