New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Unable To Remove Preinstalled Applications

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

huntermaclean

huntermaclean is on a distinguished road

I am trying to remove several applications I don't use that came preinstalled on my MacBook. I have tried the simple uninstall method of drag & drop to the Trash without success. Any suggestions? I'm a PC who just got his first Mac, but this looks like it could be a permissions issue.

Programs I am trying to remove: GarageBand, Chess, iWeb.
OS X Version 10.6.5

Thanks in advance!
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

Hi and welcome to M-F huntermaclean . . . .

Hmm interesting as i just trashed everything you just tried to.... Mind you they asked for my Admin password to do so.
First i would suggest Repairing Permissions via disk utility and then log out then back in and give it another go...
Just making sure as well that the account your trying to trash them from is a Admin account with all privileges ??
Give it a go and post back if it doesnt work and we will try come up with another solution for you

Cheers

CogFrog Studio's ~ Photography, Apps and Web Development
Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
huntermaclean

huntermaclean is on a distinguished road

Alright, this is silly, but it is coming from a brand new Mac user. What happened was, I was trying to drag the apps from the dark/transparent screen that opens from the Dock, into the Trash. Once I opened the Apps folder in Finder, I was able to drag and drop anything to the Trash after confirming with my password. Silly me! (unless I should be able to delete using the method before?)

Thanks for the prompt reply, I'm sure I will be back.

Hunter
QUOTE Thanks
toMACsh

toMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core 2 Duo

No, the other way won't work. Nor can you do it from the Sidebar if the app's icon is there. You have to go to the real application in the Applications Folder, assuming that's where it is.
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4

As toMAcsh advises, you need to go into the Applications folder found under 'Go' in the Menu Bar, double click to open and uninstall there./ If an application has an uninstaller use that, if not download AppTrap which will remove all files. It is freeware:-

http://onnati.net/apptrap/

The Dock only contains aliases and you cannot remove an application, merely this alias goes up in a puff of smoke when dragged out of the Dock.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iCal default alarms | Might have accidentally wiped out OSX and can't recover »