New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Annoying Mail Attachments

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

rmccarri

rmccarri is on a distinguished road

Hi,
I'm not a Mac user at all, so I really don't have any experience with the Apple applications that come with OS X (I run 100% Linux). However, I deal with a lot of Mac users and one in particular has an annoying feature in his email messages. Every time I receive an email from him, I get an attachment including the logo that he's placed at the bottom of his signature. That's a little irritating as I cannot search for messages from him that contain actual attachments. What's more annoying, though, is that whenever he attaches an actual file, like a PDF or something, several extra files tag along with the attachment. In a recent message in which he included 1 PDF file, I got 16 files along with the message:

11 html documents (see below for an example of the content of these)
3 files named spacer.gif what were just black blank images
the logo that he has at the bottom of his emails
the actual PDF attachment

<html><body style="word-wrap: break-word; -webkit-nbsp-mode: space; -webkit-line-break: after-white-space; "><head></head><div><blockquote type="cite"><div style="word-wrap: break-word; -webkit-nbsp-mode: space; -webkit-line-break: after-white-space; "><div><span class="Apple-style-span" style="font-family: Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; "><table cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0" width="100%" border="0" style="position: static; z-index: auto; "><tbody><tr><td valign="top" width="98%" style="font-family: Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; "><table cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0" width="100%" border="0"><tbody><tr><td class="blue" valign="top" height="1" style="font-family: Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; color: rgb(0, 102, 153); background-color: rgb(0, 102, 153); "></td></tr><tr><td valign="top" style="font-family: Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; "></td></tr></tbody></table></td></tr></tbody></table></span></div></div></blockquote></div></body></html>

Has anyone else run into this? Is there a setting or something that I can have him change so that the logo doesn't come through as an attachment, but just an inline image and to kill the extra needless files? Thanks in advance for any help.
Rob
QUOTE Thanks
hughvane

hughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nice
Mac Specs: MacMini 2.4, 4 Gb, OS 10.8 and 10.6; MacBook 2.4, 2 Gb, OS 10.5.8; G4 eMac 1.25, 2 Gb, OS 10.4.11

Looks like the sender is using pre-formatted stationery, which has been loaded with extraneous (and - as you say - annoying) material. Best approach I think is simply to ask the sender to use a blank (standard) email form with no embedded material; and to put only essential attachments to the email.

ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ
Please post your Mac (or other) specs and MacOS version in your post, your profile or your signature. It helps us to help you better.

I'm leaving now to go and find myself. If I should return before I get back, please ask me to wait.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Help needed with OS 10.5.8 | MobileMe hacked »