Java permissions issues
    Whenever I run 'Verify disk permissions' it finds dozens of problems with Java Virtual Machines files, and often with other stuff such as Airport and fonts. Often the permissions are more liberal than it says they should be. 'Repair disk permissions' doesn't not work, at least not with all of them - it says they have been repaired but running 'Verify disk permissions' again shows exactly the same problems, even after reboot.

Is this anything to be concerned about?

Attached is a sample log, showing the ostensibly successful 'Repair' process followed by a 'Verify' that shows the same problems.
    Attached Files Attached Files

2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)
    Check those permissions against these to see if you can ignore them.
    Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
    M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
    Writing a Quality Post

None of my problems are in that list. The only Java-related ones on that site are JavaPluginCocoa. Only three of my problems are Cocoa-related, and none of them are on that list.

What should I do next?

I'm running 10.6 Snow Leopard with all the latest updates, if that makes any difference.

You haven't said - is there a problem with using the computer - other than in repair permissions? You can safely ignore any output from "repair permissions," now that you've run it.

I had problems before which I think were related to font permissions, e.g. in Gmail the text didn't line up with other text or with objects that they should be in line with. They seem to have gone.

Also, before my last re-install, it used to say something like 'Java Virtual Machine has been disabled due to incorrect security settings' every time I logged in to any account on the machine. But it doesn't do that any more.

Apart from that I don't know of any permission-related errors. However, as a non-expert, it seems like a bad idea to have permissions allowing, for example, all users to execute Java programs which Disk Utility says only Admin should be able to do. I'm not qualified to judge, though.

Thread Information