New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OSX/Bootcamp/User Name issue on my Macbook

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Emjay12

Emjay12 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2, 4GB SDRAM Snow Leopard 10.6.5

My Macbook is stalling on the Grey Screen when I turn it on. I usually have to shut it off once or twice before the spinning disk comes up and it loads the OS. I have a Macbook 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 4 GB, running 10.6.5. I also have windows XP running on Bootcamp to play around with my android phone and receive firmware updates. In the last 5 days I have fully updated windows XP ( there were a lot of updates, it doesn't get used much). And I removed the password prompt before startup. My nephew received an old ibook for x-mas and I was running through the parental controls with my sister to help her set it up. In doing so, my computer began prompting me for my password upon start-up. Anyone have any ideas? I am a novice computer troubleshooter, I can usually feel my way through things, but I need help determining what direction I need to go. I love my macbook but I live in South Dakota so there are no Apple stores to go to for help.

Thanks, Mike
QUOTE Thanks
s2odin

s2odin is a jewel in the roughs2odin is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: C2D 2.26 | 500GB Seagate Momentus | 2GB 1066 (soon to be 8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emjay12 View Post
My Macbook is stalling on the Grey Screen when I turn it on. I usually have to shut it off once or twice before the spinning disk comes up and it loads the OS. I have a Macbook 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 4 GB, running 10.6.5. I also have windows XP running on Bootcamp to play around with my android phone and receive firmware updates. In the last 5 days I have fully updated windows XP ( there were a lot of updates, it doesn't get used much). And I removed the password prompt before startup. My nephew received an old ibook for x-mas and I was running through the parental controls with my sister to help her set it up. In doing so, my computer began prompting me for my password upon start-up. Anyone have any ideas? I am a novice computer troubleshooter, I can usually feel my way through things, but I need help determining what direction I need to go. I love my macbook but I live in South Dakota so there are no Apple stores to go to for help.

Thanks, Mike
I'm confused by what you're asking. Are you asking how to get rid of the password on startup?
If so, Apple -> System Preferences -> Accounts -> Login Options -> Automatic Login: On.

USAF E-2. 1C6X1 - Space Systems Operations. 19 days until BMT.
Upgrade your MBP HD
Tritton AXPro FS
QUOTE Thanks
Emjay12

Emjay12 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2, 4GB SDRAM Snow Leopard 10.6.5

No, Sorry, I am asking why my Macbook is not booting when I hit the power button. It is stalling out on the grey screen and only boots after a few tries. I have the password off. The only thing I have changed this last week is I removed the password prompt and I updated windows in bootcamp. I don't know how either of these could cause this problem but there is a lot I don't know. Thanks for your response though!
QUOTE Thanks
s2odin

s2odin is a jewel in the roughs2odin is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: C2D 2.26 | 500GB Seagate Momentus | 2GB 1066 (soon to be 8)

Try booting from the install disc and run Disk Utility to try to repair the HD. If not, try Mac OS X 10.6 Help: Resetting PRAM and Intel-based Macs: Resetting the System Management Controller (SMC)

USAF E-2. 1C6X1 - Space Systems Operations. 19 days until BMT.
Upgrade your MBP HD
Tritton AXPro FS
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« How to fix a Javascript(?) problem with Netflix??? | Volume needs to be repaired. I'm travelling and don't have Mac OS X cd. Please help! »