New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Volume needs to be repaired. I'm travelling and don't have Mac OS X cd. Please help!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Dru_T

Dru_T is on a distinguished road

Hello all,

I have a Macbook Leopard v10.5.8. I ran Onyx last night and it says my volume needs to be repaired from my Mac OS X cd, running Disc Utility. I do not have my disc on me as I'm currently traveling (in Thailand). I would go to the apple store but there isn't one here though I am sure I can find authorized service providers.
So, is there anything i can do considering I do not have my cd with me. I'm not the most computer savvy person but I'd like to try fix this and prevent further damage to my hard drive or files.
Any help/ instructions would be highly appreciated

Thanks!

Dru
QUOTE Thanks
Buzzard2010

Buzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really nice
Mac Specs: iMac 21.5" i3 500gb HDD 4gb RAM OSX 10.9.2 - iPhone 5s 16gb

Welcome to Mac-Forums Dru T

As for "Repairing the Volume" through Disk Utility this can only be done through booting from the instal disk, as the volume has to be unmounted at the time (it is mounted when in use from booting). You can "Repair Permissions" when booting from the HDD but not "Repair Disk".
If you can find an Apple authorised repair shop then they may be able to help you. But if you havn't noticed anything going wrong with your computer you should be alright until you get home.

- Simon

If you have been helped, don't forget to use the Reputation system at the bottom of the users profile.
May 2011
Nominated: March 2011 & April 2011
QUOTE Thanks
Kevriano

Kevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.

Yes you can. Run fsck.
This doesn't require your install disc, and does the same job as disk utility.
Plenty of posts on the forum on how to, many by me.

Try my custom Mac Forums Search Engine: Mac Forums Google Search

Please use the reputation system if you consider any help given useful (it's the little ✓/✘ on the left <---)

QUOTE Thanks
roflitskyle

roflitskyle has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: MacBook Unibody 13" 150 GB HDD

To clarify on what Keviano said, in order to be able to run the command fsck you will have to boot in single user mode. To do this turn on your computer and hold Command and S. After about 5 seconds you will see white text, then you can release Command and S. Now you should be at the command line, you need to enter this command: /sbin/fsck -fy then press enter. This will go through the 5 phases about your disk usage. Once it is all done it will display this message that it is all done:
** The volume (name_of_volume) appears to be OK

If you get this message:
***** FILE SYSTEM WAS MODIFIED *****

You will need to run the fsck command again until fsck tells you that your volume is OK.

Good luck!
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

Another option $29 and upgrade to SnowLeopard if you find a authorised reseller

CogFrog Studio's ~ Photography, Apps and Web Development
Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
Dru_T

Dru_T is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by roflitskyle View Post
To clarify on what Keviano said, in order to be able to run the command fsck you will have to boot in single user mode. To do this turn on your computer and hold Command and S. After about 5 seconds you will see white text, then you can release Command and S. Now you should be at the command line, you need to enter this command: /sbin/fsck -fy then press enter. This will go through the 5 phases about your disk usage. Once it is all done it will display this message that it is all done:
** The volume (name_of_volume) appears to be OK

If you get this message:
***** FILE SYSTEM WAS MODIFIED *****

You will need to run the fsck command again until fsck tells you that your volume is OK.

Good luck!
Thanks everyone for your prompt responses. Since I'm away for two months I'm going to try to boot in single user mode as roflitskyle says. Will I lose any data? I want to do this right away but if I will lose data I guess I'll have to wait a day or two. My system isn't fully backed up. Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru_T View Post
Thanks everyone for your prompt responses. Since I'm away for two months I'm going to try to boot in single user mode as roflitskyle says. Will I lose any data? I want to do this right away but if I will lose data I guess I'll have to wait a day or two. My system isn't fully backed up. Thanks!
I've never had a problem with it, but it's always safest to have a backup before you make any major changes. You'll just have to weigh the risk and determine whether its in your best interest to do it now.

Another option - and I think all Macs should have this installed from the factory - AppleJack will save you from having to have your discs handy in the event of a problem like this. And it makes it easy not having to remember the specific commands and arguments.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4 and OS X.10

Applejack 1.6 is the go. And consider Snow Leopard as it is a faster and leaner cat.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
roflitskyle

roflitskyle has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: MacBook Unibody 13" 150 GB HDD

Apple Jack looks very interesting might have to get it..
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« OSX/Bootcamp/User Name issue on my Macbook | Sound on my Mac Mini won't work »