New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

How to fix a Javascript(?) problem with Netflix???

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Head_Unit

Head_Unit will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: iMAc 1.8GHz PowerPC G5, 2GB, 10.5.8

If I have run Updater, and also updated to the latest Firefox, is there any further way to update Javascript (or a setting to change??)

I have this 444 movie Netflix queue. I click "remove" next to something. It hangs up, eventually displaying a "slow script do you want to stop" message.
ALWAYS.
In Safari. Also in Firefox!

Finally got annoyed enough to call Netflix. The very nice fellow and his internal support's conclusion was the Javascript was not running right on the machine, because:
- Other problems wouldn't be common to both browsers
- He has a new Mac and a similar sized queue and doesn't experience this problem.

Now, the queue size doesn't help, obviously. I can edit my dad's much smaller queue without the issue happening. But to reduce my queue size...I need to "remove"...and then it hangs after each titled removed

Soooo...anything I can do to improve things?
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

Javascript is not a part of the operating system - support is built into the browser. Therefore, updates to the OS won't help if the issue really is a JS issue. If it is indeed an issue with JS, take a look at other browsers such as Chrome or Opera. Both are very good with JS so that may be a place to start.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Personal Twitter
QUOTE Thanks
Head_Unit

Head_Unit will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: iMAc 1.8GHz PowerPC G5, 2GB, 10.5.8

Ah, yes, that makes sense, thanks. Funny to be having an issue with Firefox-I know Safari is no longer updated on this HW, but Firefox is. I can also try on some PCs I have, to see if I can cut the queue faster...
QUOTE Thanks
schweb

schweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2

I don't think Chrome works on PowerPC macs FWIW.

schweb | community leader
flickr facebook twitter tumblr google+ about.me

Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr

QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Might try Opera. Seems I recall having to use Opera on my MBP in the Netflix queue a couple of years back. My problem at that time had to do with the buttons displaying/working properly and could not remove items nor change my disc preference in Safari.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

If you're using a PPC Mac (something I missed), you won't be able to use either Chrome or Opera 11 (Opera 10.6x was the last version to support the PPC architecture). Opera 10.6x is still very capable and you can try it here. Make sure to get the universal version.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Personal Twitter
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« external HD won't mount (OS 10.5.8) | OSX/Bootcamp/User Name issue on my Macbook »