New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

G4 Mac mini, Hates Flash. So do I.

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

mrfoster

mrfoster is on a distinguished road

Ok, my girlfriends bought me a 1.25 g4 mac mini to use in the living room to listen to spotify and to watch youtube and BBC iPlayer, 4od etc (uk tv catchup)

I am now aware that g4 macs can no longer cope with flash videos as adobe are lazy, useless, shortsighted... I could go on.

Everywhere I read says that its hopeless, I've tried firefox, camino etc. I've also tried different versions of flash but most sites now demand flash 10 anyway.

Flash videos sound fine but are massively jerky. The processor just cant keep up.

Before I sell my christmas present on and risk a kick in the teeth from my missus is there anything else I could try?

I've looked at swapping the internals out to intel compatible stuff but that would cost more than buying a brand new unit.

I do have 2 dual core macbooks as our main computers, could I use one of these to stream iPlayer, youtube from to the mac mini? Basically control the macbooks from the mini? Remote desktop seems to do this (obviously!) but also costs a fair amount.
Would I still have the problem that the g4 processor cannot keep up? Im not sure how remote desktop really functions.

Anybody got any ideas?
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4

The problem is you cannot update the G4 to Intel, and it is now a six year old computer. Just risk the kick in the teeth and get what you can for it. If you are very smart she may not even notice if you upgrade to an Intel mini.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Macbook pro won't start from disc | Leopard install on Powerbook G4 »