New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS X 10.5 reinstall lost files and volumes

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

slotondo

slotondo is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mac Pro, 10.5.1, 2 x 2.66 GHz Dual Core Intel Xeon, 10 GB 667 MHz DDR2 F8-DIMM / MacBook Pro

I have a Mac Pro and did a reinstall of Leopard. I now do not have any time machine backups showing since the reinstall. I do not have any of my previous files in the Documents folder and Parallels need reinstalling. All my apps and most important stuff was retrieved with Migration tool. I also backup important files frequently so I am not in emergency mode. Computer works great but I am uncomfortable not having access to Time Machine backup volumes. Is there a way to see if any of this data is in hidden volumes somewhere even if I don't remember exactly what the titles were, etc.? When I use the search tool I get no results and have not learned how to narrow the search to what I want. That's enough for now. New to this forum and am learning a lot. Thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4 and OS X.10

G'day and welcome to the forums.

Trust your backups were to an external drive? If TM backups are stored on a partition of the Mac Pro hard drive and you formatted the drive they may be gone. With a Mac Pro as a suggestion, pop a SATA II drive into position No. 2 and simply back up there.

Personally favour SuperDuper for backups. The internal drive is the fastest backup you can get, 3GB/s compared to an external using Firewire 800 or USB 2.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Multiple docks at the SAME time | New user question re Airport »