New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Leopard on PPC G5?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

LennyTheDub

LennyTheDub is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Power Mac G5; PowerPC 970 (2.2)

I'm in the same boat as a lot of new iPhone 4 owners (D'oh, I should have looked at the requirements) with a machine running tiger.

I've done a quick search about the upgrades, and I'm fairly sure it can be done, but I'm wondering if I should bother. My specs /should/ be in my avatar over there, so you can see what you're dealing with.

My wife uses this machine for editing video on final cut and it seems to work a treat, and for my usage too (pokerstars).

I think I have googled enough to find out that I can run Leopard on this (not the $30 disc it seems), but has anyone else does this and was it worth it? Its obviously a lot cheaper than buying a new machine, just looking for feedback from the people who know the most. I'm not too worried about any other app apart from final cut that I'm almost certain I can re-install without any issues.

Any help would be appreciated.
QUOTE Thanks
LennyTheDub

Quote:
Originally Posted by LennyTheDub View Post
My specs /should/ be in my avatar over there, so you can see what you're dealing with.
Not as clear as I had hoped.

Machine Name: Power Mac G5
Machine Model: PowerMac7,2
CPU Type: PowerPC 970 (2.2)
Number Of CPUs: 1
CPU Speed: 1.6 GHz
L2 Cache (per CPU): 512 KB
Memory: 768 MB
Bus Speed: 800 MHz
Boot ROM Version: 5.1.5f2
QUOTE Thanks
LennyTheDub

Forgot to point out, I have an old xp machine in the corner for streaming movies to my xbox, so I can use that for the iPhone, iTunes 10 apparently runs on xp.

That's why I want to know if it's worth the trouble to upgrade now.

Thanks again.
QUOTE Thanks
louishen

louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

It is worth it, but it depends on how cheaply you can pick up OSX 10.5 Leopard for

Member of the Month September 2008 & August 2012 | Found advice useful? use the rep system
QUOTE Thanks
technologist

technologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)

Tiger has not been getting security updates for some time now, so you really should upgrade if you plan to keep using that G5

Leopard is $129 from Apple (you'll have to special order it) and it would be a good idea to get some more memory first.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
I'm in the same boat as a lot of new iPhone 4 owners (D'oh, I should have looked at the requirements) with a machine running tiger.

I think I have googled enough to find out that I can run Leopard on this (not the $30 disc it seems), but has anyone else does this and was it worth it? Its obviously a lot cheaper than buying a new machine, just looking for feedback from the people who know the most.
If you REALLY need to interface your iPhone 4 with a Macintosh computer...loading Leopard on your G5 is the LEAST expensive route...since it's pretty hard to find a used Macintosh G5 computer (iMac or Powermac) with Leopard (OS 10.5) already loaded on it for under $125 bucks.

On the other hand...getting an Intel based Mac would be better. But again...this would cost a lot more than a Leopard upgrade for your G5...since you probably can't find an Intel based Mac for less than $300-$350 (and then maybe have to add another $29) for a 10.6 install disk (if the used Intel Mac didn't have 10.6 already on it).

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
LennyTheDub

Guys,

Thank you so much for your input. I was resigned to use my xp machine for the phone until I can afford a new Mac mini (wife's planned birthday present in July), but now I want to upgrade just because of the security updates. I wasn't aware that my machine might be at risk!

Does anyone know where I might find a legal copy of that disc cheaper than apple?

I know it's only $129 but with three kids, I had an expensive Cristmas.

Thanks again.
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS X.10

Pay the $129 if Apple can get it for you. Discs go for more than that second hand on eBay and such.

F'rinstance:-

http://cgi.ebay.com/MAC-OS-X-10-5-LE...item3cb3b8ffbc

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Does anyone know where I might find a legal copy of that disc cheaper than apple?

I know it's only $129 but with three kids, I had an expensive Cristmas.
I mentioned $125 earlier because you can get a legal full install copy of 10.5 somewhere in the $100-$125 range (some folks sell them for a lot more). Rarely do they sell for less than $100.

Normally another possible option is to call Apple...and ask them to send you a replacement set of the gray disks that shipped with your computer originally. Which would only cost $15-$20 bucks. But since your 1.6ghz single processor Powermac G5 is the oldest Powermac G5 computer...it shipped with...believe it or not...OS 10.2.7! So obviously this option wouldn't be much help.

So the only viable option is to get a full install (black disk) for $100+ on e-Bay. I occasionally see a Leopard install disk pop up on Craig's List for less than $100...but this is something like once every 3-4 months.

Good luck,

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« is migration via external hardrive possible? | Need to download Leopard »