New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Rebecca, solebul

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

nickjo

nickjo is on a distinguished road

Hello all,

To preface, anyone with decent unix skills can help me out.

I recently purchased a refurbished macbook pro and decided to give it a SSD. I want to have some extra space so I kept the original HD in by swapping it with the superdrive and making that an external. Essentially, I followed these directions.

Anyway, to make a long story short. The SSD ain't huge so it's recommended to keep the system files and apps etc on the SSD, but the rest of the files on the HD.

(Surprisingly) everything work fine, except iTunes when it tries to sync. Another user "hawflakes" posted the same problem and his solution too:

-----
"OS X users planning to keep your old drive and upgrade to an SSD.

I kept my old drive and used Super Duper to clone everything except my user directories.

Everything was fine until I tried to sync in iTunes.

I got a cryptic message about permissions. Nothing worked until i found:

[support.apple.com]

You *must* have a /Users/Shared directory or you will get weird iTunes permissions-related errors.

My fix was to simply symlink to my old one on /Volumes/myolddisk/Users/Shared "
-----

So this guy created a symlink which he says fixed the permissions problem. I looked up how to create a symlink, and it seems pretty simple at face value. My question is about procedure.

In Terminal, do I simply write: ln -s /Volumes/[old Hd name]/Users/Shared /Volumes/[new SSD name]/Users/Shared ?

Is that what Mr. hawflakes is saying? Anyway, and light you can shed will be greatly appreciated.
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4 and OS X.10

OWC Technical Support advised after my SSD being slow, not to clone as this slows down the SSD to normal drive speeds. Suggestion was to format the SSD, partition even if only one partition, do a clean install of Snow Leopard from the install DVD and then use Migration Assistant to transfer folders, applications, network settings etc over the the SSD.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
XJ-linux

XJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBookAir5,2:10.9.4-MacMini3,1:10.9.4-iPhone6,1:7.1.2

The syntax is ln -s source target. So to create a link TO your old directory, you would type:

ln -s <path_to_where_your_stuff_is> <path_to_name_of_your_new_link>

So, to create an link called "/Volumes/SSD/Users/Shared" that points to "/Volumes/HDD/Users/Shared" type:

ln -s /Volumes/HDD/Users/Shared /Volumes/SSD/Users/Shared

Your best bet is still to just do a fresh installation of OS X to the SSD, and then reconfigure the HDD by copying your data to it. You will run quicker and can avoid a bunch of redundant links, orphaned files and needless confusion. Good luck.

"Those who don't understand Unix are condemned to reinvent it, poorly." Henry Spencer
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« How to Create Virtual CD to Fool iTunes? | google.analytics.com pop-up in Safari. »