New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Help Configuring Hotkeys

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

zigs16

zigs16 is on a distinguished road

Hi, sorry I haven't contributed much to the forums yet but I have a question about configuring the extra F hotkeys on my new keyboard. I'm using a macbook with snow leopard and I finally got the external keyboard with the numberpad.

I'm often typing in equations into the computer but its a nuisance to always type "x^" and "( )" constantly from the numberpad. I tried playing with the system prefs for the keyboard but I can't find a way to map F16 to be "x^", F17 to be "(" and F18 to be ")".

Any suggestions?

When I try to map it out, I think its supposed to be a command. Is it possible to make it just reconfigure the key location?
QUOTE Thanks
zigs16

zigs16 is on a distinguished road

Figured it out with the help of a few different sources. Figured I'd explain it for anyone else out there who might want help.

First I had to make a workflow in automator:

1. Get specified text - "my text"
2. Copy to clipboard
3. Run applescript:
on run {input, parameters}
tell application "Google Chrome"
activate
tell application "System Events"
keystroke "v" using command down
end tell
return input
end tell
end run

Then I saved it as "run x" and added it to my keyboard shortcuts.

Small delay, but that's understandable because it has to run the process. If theres anything more efficient than what I did, please let me know, but this works fine for me.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« New hardrive install | Font in Finder somehow changed »