New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Glitched up/Hacked Tiger???

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

potter4563

potter4563 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro Late 2009 - 4GB Ram, 2.5 GHz, Snow Leopard

My Powermac g4 Running Tiger has been behaving erratically lately. When I shut it down, it kernel panics. When I boot it up, there is a question mark in my dock by the name of "iMovie HD" when I only have iMovie 3. It takes about 5-6 minutes to boot up...and before I had all these problems, there was an absolute major glitch. I booted it up, the startup chime sounded weird, like distorted. I heard a ton of noise coming from the harddrive and it booted into this weird version of Tiger. The login text, instead of saying "So and so's Computer" said "E84SS49FTDS4"

I logged into my account and it displayed this glitched up version of the "Aqua" BG. My Dock was all Question Marks and they all said "DMG337"

I, as you know, can't open up question marks, so I didn't.

The Apple Menu seemed fine, but instead of the application name next to the Apple menu, it said "DMG337" and the options on the drop-down were all "RAE754".

The only cursor it displayed was the "Spinning Beach-ball" and I just had enough so I just shut it down.

Any ideas on what to do?? I have plenty of other Mac's, but I don't want to part with this one just quite yet as I have had it for at least 5 years.

I dont have the original OS Disks for it. So dont suggest restoring the OS.
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

Welcome to M-F

Shame you havnt got the original disks as i wasnt going to say restore but to use it to Repair Permissions via Disk Utility ...

I would still do it through the OS, or dl MainMenu 1.7.4 ~ Free

Once installed goto Configure and uncheck Spotlight Reindexing andRemove .DS_Store Files .... Then execute. Sit back and wait til its done. Restart and see where your at

Cheers

CogFrog Studio's ~ Photography, Apps and Web Development
Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
potter4563

Ok I tried that and it didn't work. I went to a last resort and backed up all my data. Then I zeroed out the HD. I replaced it with a 120 Gig HD. I put in different memory, I even put in a new processor, which was a pain. I received new Tiger discs off my friend and installed it. It went fine, but when I booted into the OS, I had the same major glitch I had before (see above), and all the other minor glitches it has had. Is this not hardware OR software related? Do I just have a bad computer?
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4

Sounds like a failing logic board alas.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by potter4563 View Post
Is this not hardware OR software related? Do I just have a bad computer?
I wouldnt say you have a bad computer. You have a Mac that is anywhere from 7 to 10 years old. In that life span things tend to fail over time .. . . . . Sounds like it has had a good run though . . . .
Its old and nothing last forever, so to call it a BAD computer is stretching it a bit

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryb2448 View Post
Sounds like a failing logic board alas.
I concur

CogFrog Studio's ~ Photography, Apps and Web Development
Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS IPad1

I think both Harry and TattooedMac are correct in their diagnosis. I am curious though, which Mac is it? What are the specs? My Digital Audio 667Mhz G4 did something sort of like that, but the real problem with my DA was the PMU chip and it rebooted and did the startup sound 3x in a row then shut down! They it would boot and reboot sometimes 1/2 way through the boot. It went nuts!

Found a mint Logic board on Ebay for $15 and it's like new! It's just a backup system but there are times I need it, so was glad to get it working once again.
QUOTE Thanks
potter4563

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtravis7 View Post
I am curious though, which Mac is it? What are the specs?
Its a Powermac G4 Sawtooth, 800 MHz 1.5 GB Ram, with 120 GB HD. I just went to a garage sale and found a logic board for it...replaced it, after a long time of getting everything out and in. I booted it up and I still had the same problems...What else could it be??

Powermac G4 2003- Tiger - 800 MHz
iPod Touch 4G - iOS 4.2 - 8 GB
iPod Classic 6G - 160 GB
Keep everything computer related you own. It will be worth some money soon
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS IPad1

This is a real shot in the dark, but did you reinstall OSX after the new Logic Board? Maybe OSX is messed up due to the issues with the old board? Again just a guess since you have changed RAM, Logicboard and Hard Drive. It really does not sound like the video card.
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4

Well it is not a Sawtooth as they came out in 400, 450 and 500MHz only. If it is 800MHs it is a Quicksilver and much newer model than a Sawtooth. Suggest not spending too much on it.

http://www.everymac.com/systems/appl...g4_800_qs.html

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

Harry, I think he has an upgrade G4 CPU in that machine.
QUOTE Thanks
potter4563

I have replaced everything in this computer, Logicboard, HD, RAM, Processor and Video Card...I do have the G4 Processor Upgrade. Then...I found the problem...I have replaced everything but the Airport. I took that out and replaced it. I reinstalled OS X and everything seems to be working fine Thanks for all the help!!

Powermac G4 2003- Tiger - 800 MHz
iPod Touch 4G - iOS 4.2 - 8 GB
iPod Classic 6G - 160 GB
Keep everything computer related you own. It will be worth some money soon
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

Glad to hear you have it working. I think I remember a bad Airport card causing issues in a machine a long time ago.

Anyway thanks for reporting back as it might help another user down the line.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Fonts | is migration via external hardrive possible? »