New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Https:// issue possibly related to redirect virus

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

The Fonz

The Fonz is on a distinguished road

So last night, i discovered i had the redirect virus/trojan which was effecting wikipedia and kept redirecting me to some ebay listing. it was effecting both firefox and safari....i uninstalled firefox and cleared all the history and cache for safari..i then downloaded google chrome and restarted me computer. this seemed to have fixed it...now wikipedia works and i in fact love google chrome.

now, today i have a problem..i was trying to login to dish network and it said it's https:// was "unverified" this NEVER happened to me before. It unverified for both safari and googlechrome...chase, facebook, and other sites are still verified and safe. I was wondering if this is related to the former redirect and that i possibly never got rid of it....i don't want my information stolen.

also, i noticed that my DNS is grayed out and i remember reading somewhere that it's a symptom of the virus..

what do i do?

PS im running OSX 10.5
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4 and OS X.10

Do you know there are no Mac OS X viruses?

What type of machine are you using?

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
The Fonz

The Fonz is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryb2448 View Post
Do you know there are no Mac OS X viruses?

What type of machine are you using?
its a macbook, but i read on THIS forum that there are redirect virus on the mac, which i only looked up until i had the symptoms.
QUOTE Thanks
schweb

schweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2

Many member ask the question about viruses and malware on the Mac and in addition to using the search function at the top of the forum, you'll find almost all your answers here:

Official Antivirus, Malware, and Firewall FAQ

schweb | community leader
flickr facebook twitter tumblr google+ about.me

Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Update is taking too long! | No room left on boot drive, spinning pizza... »