New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Accidentally Deleted/Lost/Damaged Applications

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

dollym

dollym is on a distinguished road

Hi - about a fortnight back, my son found the icons for iPhoto, iMovie, etc., outside the dock and on the general desktop surface. Thinking this was Windows, he deleted them and with them the whole application. Now I find that in addition to these, both the System Preferences and Time Machine folders also refuse to open, giving a message that they may be damaged. For some reason, my Mac, which I bought recently, did not come with either the OS.X discs or the iLife disc.

How do I get back to where we were before my son got naughty?

dollym
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

If this was a new Mac, it came with the discs. They are often overlooked in the packaging materials. I'd look again.

If you have no backup, or your backup/Time Machine is not working, you're going to need the discs. Need to either call Apple and ask for a set of replacement discs or purchase new ones.

And with that many problems, sounds like time to reinstall everything.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
6string

6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)

If your Mac which you bought was new and from Apple, I would just call them and explain that it came without the install discs.
Otherwise, you can still call Apple tech support, and for around $20 after quoting the serial number of your machine, they will send you the original install discs.
This should also get you into the practice of keeping current time machine backups, and keeping the install discs in a safe place.

Edit: bobtomay got in there while I was typing
QUOTE Thanks
louishen

louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

What os are you using?

Time machine is a pretty small app, if you could get hold of TM then the restore process would be easy

Member of the Month September 2008 & August 2012 | Found advice useful? use the rep system
QUOTE Thanks
6string

6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)

Oh, I forgot to mention..... also set up a guest account once you have fixed it so that this can't happen again
QUOTE Thanks
dollym

thanks. Am using Snow Leopard 10.6 I think.

guess it's best to get the discs from Apple.
QUOTE Thanks
dollym

actually, there are separate accounts for me and my husband and the two kids. but the problem showed up on each one of those

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6string View Post
Oh, I forgot to mention..... also set up a guest account once you have fixed it so that this can't happen again
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Make sure that at least the kids accounts are not set up as admins. Then they will not be able to delete anything that will affect any other accounts (as long as they don't have the admin password).

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Install dilemma | Mail 3.6 problems »