New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

iMac won't restore to original OS X

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

n_frankie

n_frankie is on a distinguished road

iMac 2.66 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
2GB 1067 MHz DDR3
320GB HDD

I'm currently running 10.5.8 installed from a retail version of Leopard.
I've tried to restore the computer to it's original state. It came with 2 gray discs, which is version 10.4.2. When I select "Install" it tells me that this version can not be installed on this computer. I've tried to boot from CD and do a clean install as well, but it wouldn't recognize the disc in the machine. It automatically booted from HDD. What am I doing wrong?
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS X.10

Don't know who sold you your iMac however 2.66GHz Core 2 Duos did not come with Tiger, but OS X.5.2 Leopard. Here are the original specs:-

iMac "Core 2 Duo" 2.66 20-Inch (Early 2008) Specs (Early 2008, MB324LL/A, iMac8,1, A1224, 2210) @ EveryMac.com

That explains why the Tiger discs will not boot. If you are selling it, just format and put a clean version of Leopard on it. If not, go for the $29 Snow Leopard OS from the Apple Store.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
n_frankie

It's funny that you mentioned it because I've been researching for the past couple of days and everything I found indicated that the computer should have been sold with Leopard not Tiger. I bought the computer in Future Shop brand new and the disc that came with it was 10.4.2. The problem I'm having is that I can't install windows xp in boot camp ( unfortunately I have no choice, I have to have windows for my accounting software) because my retail version of Leopard, which I bought doesn't have the required windows drivers. So how can I obtain the proper discs for my iMac then? Any suggestions? Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

If you want the Original disks then best bet is to ring  give em the serial of the iMac and they will send you the Original disks ...... As harry said that iMac SHOULD have come with leopard, and being Leopard they will be pricey .....
And again as harry posted, best bet is to get Snow Leopard for the Cheap $29 and install that ...
But for the proper disks you need to ring Apple .... SL disks can be bought at any Authorised Reseller

Cheers

CogFrog Studio's ~ Photography, Apps and Web Development
Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute

In short .. you been conned so go back and stir it up with a big stick. Sounds like someone has done the old switcheroo on you and not familiar with Future Shop - was it sold in brand new condition?

Go out and buy Snow Leopard you will not be disappointed and that runs BootCamp.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryb2448 View Post
In short .. you been conned so go back and stir it up with a big stick. Sounds like someone has done the old switcheroo on you and not familiar with Future Shop - was it sold in brand new condition?
Was thinking that as well. If they are a Authorised Reseller then i would cantact Apple directly as well and report the Company too them and explain they tried to sell you (which they did) a Tiger OS install disks with a iMac that should have come with Leopard ...

@harry they said it was bought brand new

CogFrog Studio's ~ Photography, Apps and Web Development
Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
n_frankie

Thanks for the tip. I'll phone Apple, and the store I bought the unit.
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

And ask to speak to the store manager about your complaint advising you have aired your problems on a Mac forum and the store is getting a bad, smelly name!

QUOTE Thanks
n_frankie

Solution=Snow Leopard. I should have spent that $30 on Snow Leopard at the beginning. It would have saved me some headache. I can't believe how simple it was. After repartitioning my hard drive, and having problems booting the computer up from the retail version of Leopard (long story.....)I installed Snow Leopard and everything works like a swiss clock. Windows XP installed without any glitch with all the required drivers.
Thanks Guys.
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

Now update to OS X.6.5 using the Combo Updater and life will be sweet, until OS X.6.6 comes along in a month or two! And get on to the store that sold you the machine as you still need the Leopard original install discs to access Apple Hardware Test.

http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1324

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« can't find driver | MAC OS run on my PC? »