New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Upgrade to SL - will my old iApps work?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Mitcherooney

Mitcherooney will become famous soon enough

Greetings and Merry Crimble to all and sundry...

My dearly beloved has kindly given me a wireless Mighty Mouse (she's fed up with the clutter on my desk, and eliminating one trailing wire seems to her to be a step in the right direction....

I discover on studying the notes that come with it, that OS 10.5 is required and I'm on 10.4.

It would clearly make sense to upgrade (if I'm to use the mouse) to SL.

The question is, will my current iMovie, iDVD and iPhoto (all Tiger) work with it or do I need to adopt the new versions of these programs?

Is the upgrade viable or should I return the mouse to the shop?

Thanks Mitcherooney
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Without knowing which Mac you have, year - model, we can't advise you about which apps will work or whether or not you can upgrade to Snow Leopard. Please post specs.
QUOTE Thanks
Mitcherooney

Sorry for that omission...

The machine is an Intel iMac, circa 2006 and these details apply:

Model Name: iMac
Model Identifier: iMac4,1
Processor Name: Intel Core Duo
Processor Speed: 1.83 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache (per processor): 2 MB
Memory: 2 GB
Bus Speed: 667 MHz
Boot ROM Version: IM41.0055.B08
SMC Version: 1.1f5

Thanks for your help so far. M
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

According to *MacTracker* then you are able to upgrade to SL no worries

And any .v 4 of iPhoto will work with SL so i presume iMovie and iDVD will as well.

If i was you though i would go down the road of iLife 11 as there are some awesome upgrades to iPhoto and the such.
And from Amazon you can pick this up for under $50

Cheers

CogFrog Studio's ~ Photography, Apps and Web Development
Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
Mitcherooney

Thanks for that TM.

The only thing that concerns me now is how do I preserve all my data if I upgrade, or will that be safe? I have an external HD (320 Gig) available if need be.

I have some stuff on the ext HD which I want to keep - it's stored in a folder. I removed it from the internal HD to give me more elbow room when editing movies.

Does Time Machine take over the entire ext HD - do I need to partition it somehow?

I'm an old geezer and the brain works slowly and ultra cautiously these days.

Just an aside - I'm in the UK - otherwise known as rip-off Britain. iLife11 on Amazon UK is 40-00 (US $61-77). Bite the bullet time, I guess..

But if you could let me know how I go about preserving my data, etc I'd be very grateful.

Cheers M
QUOTE Thanks
6string

6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)

You'd need to reformat the external HD drive to HFS+ (Mac os extended (journaled)) if it's not already, which you would use the Mac's disk utility to do.
Your best option would be to transfer the data from your external HD to your Mac, then you could partition the external HD using disk utility.
Make a small partition for the data that you had on it so you can move it back, and the other partition for your time machine backup.
QUOTE Thanks
Mitcherooney

Thanks, 6string (do you beat up a guitar by any chance?)

That is reassuring news, and I think I could probably cope with all that. Even at my advanced age a few brain cells function....

Back to the beginning of the story... My wife's present to me with set me back approx 65.00 ($100.37 at current exchange rates), but as the advert says...I'm worth it.

Many thanks once again for your help. M
QUOTE Thanks
6string

6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitcherooney View Post
Thanks, 6string (do you beat up a guitar by any chance?)

That is reassuring news, and I think I could probably cope with all that. Even at my advanced age a few brain cells function....

Back to the beginning of the story... My wife's present to me with set me back approx 65.00 ($100.37 at current exchange rates), but as the advert says...I'm worth it.

Many thanks once again for your help. M
Pleasure.... you should be fine, but if you get stuck or are unsure at any stage, post back before doing anything that may be irreversible.

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Admin. Acc't trouble - HELP! | Unhappy with Mac »