New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Install dilemma

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

ducada

ducada is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mac book pro "15 intel, Mac Pro 3.0 quad core, 14gram

Merry Christmas Eve Everyone!

Here's my dilemma. I bought a mac pro second hand. I thought I had everything until I started my clean install process where I discovered i don't have disc 2. The original owner says he cannot locate the disc. I have begun install and am stuck where the mac is asking for disc 2. at this point where do i go from here?

all help is appreciated it.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

You haven't really told us what exactly you're trying to install...but if you're trying to install the OS...and you're interested in 10.6 Snow Leopard...just go to your local Apple Store & get it for $29.

Regarding the whole "disk #2" question...you're stuck at the moment. You could call Apple at their "800" number & explain the situation...but this will cost you around $20 bucks as well (these disks will most likely be OS 10.4 or 10.5)...so if you want OS 10.6...get the $29 disk from the Apple Store.

HTH,

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4

G'day and welcome to the forums.

Contact the Apple Store and purchase the Snow Leopard DVD for US$29 and when you have it reformat the drive and do a clean install. You will not complete without disc 2 and it will not be Snow Leopard an d it is the fastest OS for your Mac Pro. Keep on annoying the seller until he finds disc 2 as you will need it for Apple Hardware Test.

Confound it Nick beat me by 1 minute!!

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

?? - Couple of options - Try installing again and this time deselect all of the additional software (I forget the term that is used). iLife and other extras are on disc 2. Not sure if this will work or not - never tried it.

Other option, spend $29 for Snow Leopard and $49 for iLife.

edit:
lol - and I'm watching TV while typing, so it takes a few minutes.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryb2448 View Post
Confound it Nick beat me by 1 minute!!
Sorry Harry!

- Nick

- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
QUOTE Thanks
ducada

Ok. I was trying to install leopard 10.5. So what you guys are saying is just purchase snow leopard? if so, how do I install is tif the machine keeps asking for disc 2?
Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducada View Post
Ok. I was trying to install leopard 10.5. So what you guys are saying is just purchase snow leopard? if so, how do I install is tif the machine keeps asking for disc 2?
Thanks
If you're installing Snow Leopard from the $29 install disk from the Apple Store...you don't need the disk/disks you have...all you need is the single 10.6 Snow Leopard disk.

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks
ducada

Ok. So now the Mac installer just hangs. Someone please help
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
Ok. So now the Mac installer just hangs. Someone please help
Just hangs doing what?...you need to keep us up to date with details.

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks
ducada

It just sits on a grey screen with Mac installer in the menu..when I try to boot from the retail disc that I now have it says it needs to restart then its back to tnhe grey screen with installer menu..
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
It just sits on a grey screen with Mac installer in the menu..when I try to boot from the retail disc that I now have it says it needs to restart then its back to tnhe grey screen with installer menu..
If you have a Mac Pro...and you have an OS 10.6 install disk (not a gray disk)...we need to know the exact model Mac Pro you have, and what version of 10.6 'Snow Leopard" you're trying to install.

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks
ducada

Mac pro. The retail disc states version 10.5.1
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute

Purchase Snow Leopard OS X.6.

Boot from that disc, go to Disk Utility in the Menu Bar, run Repair Disc, then Partition even if only one partition and format Mac OS Extended (Journalled).

Back to the Installer and proceed.

Update to OS X.6.5 using the Combo Updater from the Apple web site.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
ducada

Trying it now..how do I partition?
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

Disk Utility as stated above, and select the 'Partition' tab. And don't try any more with that Leopard partial disc set.

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Unhappy with Mac | Accidentally Deleted/Lost/Damaged Applications »