New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

screen saver question

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

piccolovenezia

piccolovenezia is on a distinguished road

I have set up the screen saver to use various landscape panoramas in a particular file and to zoom in and out. This is on a newish MacBook Pro running 10.5.8. Everything works fine, except that roughly every third image that is displayed is not an image but what looks like some sort of text (three lines each of perhaps four languages or messages) and this meanders around the screen likes some of the simpler screen savers of yore. And the type is so small and so indistinct that it cannot be read. I have tried changing the resolution and taking photographs and it is not legible.

Since there is not a single text file in that folder, this must be something being introduced by the OS (or another program)

Any thoughts as to what it is and how to get rid of it?

Regards
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

I'm not using Leopard so I don't know exactly which screen saver is randomly showing up. However, there are several screen saver options which display only writing: "Name of Computer", "Word of the Day".

Go to System Preferences, Desktop & Screensaver, and see if you can find anything there. If you don't want those to show up, either do not choose the random mode or you can do a Spotlight search and delete them.
QUOTE Thanks
piccolovenezia

I was not using any of those options. I had had the screen saver set to random then changed it so it would display the photographs in a specific folder. So random is not checked in the main dialogue; I do have random checked under options (as in present photographs in random order).

Where are the files for the screen saver kept? Perhaps there is something unusual there. And what would I search for using Searchlight?

TIA

P.S. In case it is not obvious, this is not one of the listed screen savers.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by piccolovenezia View Post

P.S. In case it is not obvious, this is not one of the listed screen savers.
If you're using some 3rd party screen saver, the place to start is with their support or emailing the developer.

You're putting anyone here attempting to help in a pure guessing game if you're not using the system settings that are standard without tellng us what you're using.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
piccolovenezia

I am using the standard screen saver; the random message does not look like any of the listed screen savers in behavior or text. If there is a way to post a screen shot in this forum, I am happy to do that.

To be very specific, I have selected a folder called "Shots" by using the "Select Folder" option; it now is listed under the heading of "Pictures" . That folder has 10 jpg pictures and no other files.

Actually, I thought I had found the problem: using Windows Explorer, I went into that folder and discovered a file called "DS_store" which I now discover was created by the OS. I deleted the file but I suspect that it will be recreated as soon as the screen saver launches again.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Kernel Panic with ProTools - Please Help | Problems with displaying PDFs & Saving to PDF »