New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Problems with displaying PDFs & Saving to PDF

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Beliblis

Beliblis is on a distinguished road

Hi,

I hope this is the right forum to ask, as I think the problem is related to my installation of OSX, not to a specific software:

After a system install, I usually slim down the system/hard-drive and remove most of the printer drivers from the OS's library folder. This is because I never print anything from this laptop. I do keep a few printer drivers though, i.e. the ones I know I might use on the odd occasion.

The only thing I sometimes do is to export a file as a PDF (from Word/Excel/Preview...). So usually, I go to "Print", then select "Save as PDF..."
I sometimes even have to do this with a file that IS a PDF already. (This is because some protected PDFs don't allow a "copy & paste", but they do when they're duplicated via the "Save as PDF" option.

This used to work alright last time I used the feature. But now, in "Preview" the "Save as PDF..." option is greyed out. And when I try from within Acrobat or Safari, I get this error message:
"Saving a PDF file when printing is not supported. Instead, choose File > Save."

Can someone here tell me: What am I missing in the System's preferences or library folders, in order to save as pdf from within Preview or Safari?
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

First question - what is the existing file type you are attempting to save?

Next, you still need to provide at minimum what version of OS X you are using.

Is this a single file you're trying to save and giving you problems, or have you attempted it with multiple files of the same type?

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
Beliblis

OS 10.6.5

I'm trying to open a PDF and then print it, and in the print dialogue save it back as a new pdf. This is something I've done in the past to get around the following problem:
The original pdf is password-protected, so I can't copy anything from it. Once "printed" into a new pdf, the password protection is gone. (All I want to do is copy some statistical data from the PDF into an ExCel spreadsheet).
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Give this a try.

Save Safari-loaded password-protected PDFs - Mac OS X Hints

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
Beliblis

Doesn't work. The pdf's I'm using have been e-mailed to me. (Sales reports at the end of every month). Even if I open them from within Safari as a local url (file://...) and "download" them back, they're still password-protected.

In the past, I could always use the "print to pdf" trick. And on my mom's macbook it works –*but not on mine. I know it's got to do something with Acrobat or printer drivers...
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« screen saver question | Preview lost my printer defaults »