New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OSX 10.6.3 problem?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

welsh_flag

welsh_flag is on a distinguished road

Hi Guys,

Just upgraded from 10.4.11 to Snow Leopard 10.6.3 and am very frustrated as my external hard drive (sumvision) causes the cursor to freeze and warrants a re-start (can only do this by holding down power button).

Sometimes I get a window asking if I want to use this drive as my Time Machine backup (I don't), but more often than not after plugging in the external drive everything freezes.

I hope there's a simple solution for this as there is almost 80gb of files and programs I need to transfer....

Thanks in anticipation
QUOTE Thanks
McBie

McBie is a splendid one to beholdMcBie is a splendid one to beholdMcBie is a splendid one to beholdMcBie is a splendid one to beholdMcBie is a splendid one to beholdMcBie is a splendid one to beholdMcBie is a splendid one to beholdMcBie is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 2013 MBA 13" - OS X 10.10.1

1st thing to check ..... is your hardware certified to run Snow Leopard ?
If it is , it might help if you run software update and apply the 10.6.5 updates.
Are there any apps. that you start at login and are they Snow Leopard compatible ?

A bit more info on your hardware setup would be nice.

Cheers ... McBie

A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any invention in human history - with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila.
The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude towards the problem. You understand ?
QUOTE Thanks
welsh_flag

Hi McBie,

Apparently the drive is formatted to FAT32 (whatever that means!) and "runs all versions of Mac OS"

There are no apps that start at login.

Would reformatting the drive help (and if so, how would I do it) I have access to another mac to download the files to in the meantime...
QUOTE Thanks
Raz0rEdge

Raz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3

FAT32 formatted drives are easily accessable to a variety of OS' including Windows, Mac and Linux..however if you intend to use this external drive ONLY with your Mac, you can reformat it into Mac Journaled Filesystem and see if that makes the drive behave better.

Obviously, it goes without saying that you should backup all of you current data on the external drive to another medium..

Regards
QUOTE Thanks
McBie

McBie is a splendid one to beholdMcBie is a splendid one to beholdMcBie is a splendid one to beholdMcBie is a splendid one to beholdMcBie is a splendid one to beholdMcBie is a splendid one to beholdMcBie is a splendid one to beholdMcBie is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 2013 MBA 13" - OS X 10.10.1

If you connect that disk to the other Mac, does the other Mac freeze as well ?

Cheers ... McBie

A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any invention in human history - with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila.
The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude towards the problem. You understand ?
QUOTE Thanks
welsh_flag

Hi again,

I've updated to 10.6.5 and the cursor still freezes.

No, the drive works perfectly with 10.4.2 on another mac mini (incidentally the mini I've upgraded to is intel-based).

I do understand that I need to back up the data first, but how do I go about reformatting exactly, as the drive will be used with this mac plus the other mini (power pc)
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS 10.10.1

With the drive connected, go into Disk Utility and if the drive is A-okay, it will appear on the left hand column. Select it, go to Partition and partition the drive even if for only one partition, select GUID from the Options button and format Mac OS Extended (Journalled). Your problem sounds like the PowerPC computer as they use different partitioning systems, GUID compared to Apple Partition Map.

As the PowerPC will not be able to read Snow Leopard, perhaps using it with the Intel machine may well be the go.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
welsh_flag

Thanks Harry, I'll give it a go...
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« OSX 10.4.11 New fonts are crashing Firefox AND Adobe Acrobat | strange HD icon appeared »