New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

os x 10.4.11 to snow leopard

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

tabu63

tabu63 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: macbook 2.1 Intel Core 2 duo os x 10.4.11

Hi, I would lie to upgrade my macbook intel computer to run the snow leopard version. However, I would like to know if I can do this in one go or do I have to do it in stages? My laptop seems to be a bit sluggish from time to time and this is the reason for wanting to upgrade. However, I intend to buy an i mac in the near future and I was wondering if it was worthwhile actually doing the upgrade? Is it possible to do the upgrade from a new imac? Thank you
QUOTE Thanks
Buzzard2010

Buzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really nice
Mac Specs: iMac 21.5" i3 500gb HDD 4gb RAM OSX 10.9.2 - iPhone 5s 16gb

Welcome to Mac-Forums

With all apple computers there is a maximum OS that your computer will let you upgrade to. If you have the model number let me know and I will tell you if you can upgrade to Snow Leopard.
Generally the rule of thumb though is that intel macbooks will run Snow Leopard.
It's worth doing the upgrade straight on the laptop as there are ways to do it from another computer but it's a little complicated.

- Simon

If you have been helped, don't forget to use the Reputation system at the bottom of the users profile.
May 2011
Nominated: March 2011 & April 2011
QUOTE Thanks
tabu63

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzard2010 View Post
Welcome to Mac-Forums

With all apple computers there is a maximum OS that your computer will let you upgrade to. If you have the model number let me know and I will tell you if you can upgrade to Snow Leopard.
Generally the rule of thumb though is that intel macbooks will run Snow Leopard.
It's worth doing the upgrade straight on the laptop as there are ways to do it from another computer but it's a little complicated.

- Simon
As mentioned my laptop runs os x 10.4.11. It's a 2 GHz intel core 2 duo processor with 1GB memory. It's a macbook 2.1. It works really well and I have a G Drive mini on to which I am going to back up everything for security. I also want to run snow leopard as I have just done a career shift from pharmacy to teaching and I need to do a lot of powerpoint work for classes and store a lot of language resources such as mp3 and video for lessons.

Many thanks,
Tabu63
QUOTE Thanks
Buzzard2010

Buzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really nice

I'm thinking this is the macbook that was introduced mid 2007? Model number if i'm right should be A1181, if it is then the latest OS you can install onto it is leopard with the current update 10.6.5.

- Simon

If you have been helped, don't forget to use the Reputation system at the bottom of the users profile.
May 2011
QUOTE Thanks
tabu63

Quote:
I'm thinking this is the macbook that was introduced mid 2007? Model number if i'm right should be A1181, if it is then the latest OS you can install onto it is leopard with the current update 10.6.5.

- Simon
I think this macbook is earlier. I have had it for almost five years. I can't seem to find the model number but it is one of the macbooks that has the problem with the casing which starts to crack. When I was checking about this on the mac store site I read that the system requirement to upgrade was intel processor, 12GB spare memory and os x 10.5. Is it not possible to go from 10.4 to 10.5 then use the mac box set to get to snow leopard and upgrade all the other applications at the same time? I really appreciate your time and consideration in helping me.

tabu63
QUOTE Thanks
Buzzard2010

Download MacTracker available here for free: Mactracker download and install then open it, click on "This Mac" it will tell you what model, max RAM and max OS you can install.
If it is compatible with 10.6 then you certainly can use the box set to upgrade to it.
Word of advice though make sure whatever software you already have is compatible with SL and back everything up just in case.
In regards to helping you, it's no problem, my cat work me up at "stupid" o'clock on my day off the little b*****d so I have plenty of time lolol

- Simon

May 2011
QUOTE Thanks
tabu63

Quote:
Download MacTracker available here for free: Mactracker download and install then open it, click on "This Mac" it will tell you what model, max RAM and max OS you can install.
If it is compatible with 10.6 then you certainly can use the box set to upgrade to it.
Word of advice though make sure whatever software you already have is compatible with SL and back everything up just in case.
In regards to helping you, it's no problem, my cat work me up at "stupid" o'clock on my day off the little b*****d so I have plenty of time lolol

- Simon
After downloading MacTracker it would appear that I could upgrade directly with the box set. Thanks a million for being so helpful. Give the cat a Valium tonight!!!
QUOTE Thanks
Buzzard2010

No problem at all pal, thats not a bad idea I may just do that

- Simon

May 2011
QUOTE Thanks
nickatgt

nickatgt is on a distinguished road

I have an older iMac (20-inch Mid 2007) Model Identifier: iMac7,1
Model Number: A1224 with 4 gig and plenty of disc (Just installed new memory and new disc after crash).

I am trying to recover and install new software after the crash and need to upgrade from os x 10.4.11 to at least 10.5, preferably the latest Snow Leopard. I want to (willing to) do it legitimately meaning going through the 10.5 step but I can't seem to find a way to reasonably purchase Leopard (10.5).

My questions are:

1. Where can I find a legit copy of 10.5 to install?
2. If I skipped the 10.5 step, can I buy the Snow Leopard upgrade, and will it work?

Thanks for the advice.

Nick
QUOTE Thanks
Buzzard2010

As far as I know you need to have Leopard on to be able to use a Snow Leopard update disk. Legit ways (and only ways I recommend), you could try eBay (make sure you get the retail disk and not the grey model specific disk), give apple a bell they may be able to help you there too.

- Simon

May 2011
QUOTE Thanks
toMACsh

toMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core 2 Duo

Quote:
As far as I know you need to have Leopard on to be able to use a Snow Leopard update disk.
No, that's not true. Many people have reported jumping to SL from Tiger. I haven't done it myself, but many people have reported jumping to SL from Tiger.
QUOTE Thanks
nickatgt

nickatgt is on a distinguished road

Quoting from the Apple store
Upgrade your Mac experience.
With Snow Leopard, iLife ’’11, and iWork all in one box, the Mac Box Set is the best way to upgrade your Mac experience, especially if you’re still using Mac OS X Tiger.
It looks to me like purchasing the upgrade from Tiger to Snow Leopard is the recommendation.

I am going to try it, sounds like there is no issues from Apple.

Nick
QUOTE Thanks
Buzzard2010

Live and learn

- Simon

May 2011
QUOTE Thanks
welsh_flag

welsh_flag is on a distinguished road

I went from 10.4.11 straight to Snow Leopard for the princely sum of £22 - a brand new and legit disc bought from Amazon.

Apple would like you to buy the box set, but if you just need the OS and no extras, then the single OS disc is fine.
QUOTE Thanks
ammar

ammar is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook 13" (10.4.11) & iPhone 4

Hello,

My MacBook is the "mid-2007", Model #A1181. and I am running OS 10.4.11

I want to upgrade into 10.5 or 10.6, I don't really mind, as long as I am not "that" outdated

The problem I have is that my Optical reader is not working, whether I put CD/DVD it doesn't work. If I get an external CD ROM, can I upgrade my OS?
So, I buy the Snow Leopard/Leopard from the apple store and insert it into the external cd-rom, and everything works just fine?

I live in Germany, and AppleStores costs a fortune here to inspect/check (seriously).

This is my first post here, so I thank everyone in advance.
Ammar
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Trouble moving from PC Eudora to Entourage | An upgrade Dilemma. »