New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Defragment internal drive on MacBook

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Beliblis

Beliblis is on a distinguished road

Hi,

I want to defragment the internal drive on my MacBook. Currently at home with my folks, I have access to another MacBook. And I have a couple of empty portable USB drive. (Internal HD is 160GB, external ones are bigger than that). I'm running 10.5.9, my mother is on 10.4.11

What's the best procedure to go about this? Is the following step-by-step OK to do? Or can you think of an easier/quicker way?
  • Mirror my internal HD to an external USB drive via 'Ghostimage' or similar software
  • Switch off my MacBook, connect it to my Mom's MacBook via Firewire cable, then reboot my MacBook in Transfer mode ("Apple + T" during startup), so it appears on my Mother's as an external HD
  • Use DiskDoctor on my Mom's MacBook to reformat my MacBook drive ("HFS+, Journaled" I guess?)
  • Connect external USB drive with the mirrored image of my system to my Mom's computer & transfer it back to my MacBook (which would still be connected in Firewire mode).

Unfortunately I don't have DriveGenius, so that's not an option...

Thanks for your help & input on this!
QUOTE Thanks
Beliblis

Hi,

I want to defragment the internal drive on my MacBook. Currently at home with my folks, I have access to another MacBook. And I have a couple of empty portable USB drive. (Internal HD is 160GB, external ones are bigger than that). I'm running 10.5.9, my mother is on 10.4.11

What's the best procedure to go about this? Is the following step-by-step OK to do? Or can you think of an easier/quicker way?
  • Mirror my internal HD to an external USB drive via 'Ghostimage' or similar software
  • Switch off my MacBook, connect it to my Mom's MacBook via Firewire cable, then reboot my MacBook in Transfer mode ("Apple + T" during startup), so it appears on my Mother's as an external HD
  • Use DiskDoctor on my Mom's MacBook to reformat my MacBook drive ("HFS+, Journaled" I guess?)
Connect external USB drive with the mirrored image of my system to my Mom's computer & transfer it back to my MacBook (which would still be connected in Firewire mode).

QUOTE Thanks
Beliblis

Hi,

• Connect external USB drive with the mirrored image of my system to my Mom's computer & transfer it back to my MacBook (which would still be connected in Firewire mode).

QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

I assume that by Disk Doctor you mean Disk Utility? Otherwise you should be OK.

BTW does your Mac boot off of an external USB drive? If so, you could avoid Target Disk mode. Simply clone your internal drive to an external making sure to create a "bootable" clone. Then boot from the clone erase the internal drive and clone everything back.

I'd suggest either Super Duper pr Carbon Copy Cloner. Both are capable of creating "bootable" clones. Newer versions Disk Utility can as well but I don't remember when they added that ability.

Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

"Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling
QUOTE Thanks
s2odin

s2odin is a jewel in the roughs2odin is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: C2D 2.26 | 500GB Seagate Momentus | 2GB 1066 (soon to be 8)

About disk optimization with Mac OS X

USAF E-2. 1C6X1 - Space Systems Operations. 19 days until BMT.
Upgrade your MBP HD
Tritton AXPro FS
QUOTE Thanks
schweb

schweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2

What makes you think you even need to defragment? That's something that 99.9999% of Mac users never have to do.

schweb | community leader
flickr facebook twitter tumblr google+ about.me

Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr

QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

Thanks for that reminder. Most user won't see significant improvement from defragmenting an OS X drive. The exception would be if you are pushing large files such as in video editing. The other case is setting up a Bootcamp partition. The assistant looks for contiguous free space to create the Win partition.

Once again Schweb beats me to the punch. Gotta either type less or paster. lol

QUOTE Thanks
schweb

schweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2

Please don't crosspost or ask your question multiple times in different places.

The Community Guidelines state:

Quote:
Post appropriately.
Search first, post things in the right place, use descriptive thread titles, and don't crosspost. Those things will help get you more timely responses and help keep our community nice and tidy.
Thanks for understanding!

schweb | community leader
flickr facebook twitter tumblr google+ about.me

Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr

QUOTE Thanks
Beliblis

Sorry - the crossposting happened by accident. Something to do with the history in my browser & crash whilst submitting a post.

I think I need to defragment, because I noticed my mom's computer booting A LOT faster than mine, although it's older & with a slower processor.
And yes, I often do work with larger files and for the past 6 months (on and off), I've sometimes had VERY little space on the internal HD. Partly because of Photoshop swap files, partly because of filling up the HD with 24mp RAW files when I was on the move & external HD was full.
QUOTE Thanks
Beliblis

One thing I'm wondering:
If I create a copy of my fragmented drive via a disk image or similar (ghostimage): doesn't this also copy the actual fragmentation itself? In other words, makeing the whole exercise a bit pointless...?
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

If I remember correctly the fragmentation is removed during the cloning process and things are copied in contiguous blocks. I used Drive Genius when I installed Windows but I am pretty sure I have used the cloning method in the past. Can someone else confirm this.

QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

@Slydude

Cloning doesn't remove the fragmentation as the cloning process is usually a block by block copy. (Both Carbon Copy Cloner and SuperDuper use Block Level Copying) However, what seems to do the best job of removing fragmentation is an erase and reinstall and recovery with Time Machine. That has been my experience.

BTW, both Acronis True Image and Norton Ghost use the same Block Level Copying for cloning FAT-32, NTFS, and Ext3 partitions and drives.
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Thanks for clearing that up. I must have used Drive Genius the last time I did it.

QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2009 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

Bottom line: by NOW you might need to "defrag," but generally speaking you don't.

What you (and all other Mac users) DO need to do is NOT repeat NOT let the available HD space get too low. *That* is what causes a lot of these problems.

I've said here many times that I consider 12GB of free space a dead minimum for a well-functioning Mac. It's just an opinion, but I find that for the average Mac owner 12GB seems to be enough to keep the Mac humming along smoothly. Any less than that and you're asking for trouble IMHO.
QUOTE Thanks
Beliblis

Found this link:
7 disk defragmenters to boost performance on the Apple Mac OS X

According to this, CCC and SuperDuper actually DO work for defragmenting. This actually makes sense to me (correct me if I'm wrong): since CCC just copies the files from one drive to the other and DOESNT create an image file. Data Rescue / Drive Genius create image files, as far as I can remember. And that would be a block level copy, no?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Magic trackpad with original trackpad | MacBook Air Problems »