New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Upgrade from OS 10.2.8 to tiger

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

therickster6

therickster6 is on a distinguished road

I'm trying to upgrade OS 10.2.8 directly to OS 10.4 Tiger with an original Tiger DVD and it wont work and doesn't tell me why. Is it possible to do this or do I have to install 10.3 first.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by therickster6 View Post
I'm trying to upgrade OS 10.2.8 directly to OS 10.4 Tiger with an original Tiger DVD and it wont work and doesn't tell me why. Is it possible to do this or do I have to install 10.3 first.
Is this disk gray-colored?...if so...those install disks are model specific & won't work on your computer.

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
toMACsh

toMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core 2 Duo

Quote:
I'm trying to upgrade OS 10.2.8 directly to OS 10.4 Tiger with an original Tiger DVD and it wont work and doesn't tell me why.
What does it tell you?
QUOTE Thanks
therickster6

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
Is this disk gray-colored?...if so...those install disks are model specific & won't work on your computer.

- Nick
Hi Nick, no it is an original Black OS X Tiger install DVD.
I get a message after it starts to verify dvd disk saying there is a problem and to try again, which I did to no avail, the same message.
QUOTE Thanks
therickster6

Quote:
Originally Posted by toMACsh View Post
What does it tell you?
It just says it encountered a problem and to retry, which I did and just get the same thing. Do I need to instsll 10.3 first?
QUOTE Thanks
toMACsh

toMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of light

You should be able to install Tiger from a black "retail" disc, and not have to take it "one step at a time". I take it you're getting this message after clicking "Install". Where did this disc come from?
QUOTE Thanks
dmordigal

dmordigal is on a distinguished road

Are you sure it's verifying the DVD? I think it may be actually verifying the hard drive to make sure the file system, etc. is intact and complete to make sure it won't have trouble installing the OS.

If you want to just upgrade without reformatting the disk, you might be out of luck. Make sure your disk if formatted with the Mac OS X Extended (Journaled) file system before continuing with the install.

YouTube Channel
Computer Specs: MacBook (2007), 2GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 1GB RAM, 80 GB HDD w/ Snow Leopard 10.6.5 & Boot Camp (15GB, Windows XP Home)
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4

Not a Tiger Upgrade disc is it? Will upgrade from Panther only.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS IPad1

No, Tiger first does a verify on the Tiger DVD. If that fails you will get that message. You can Skip the verify of the DVD but what I would do first is check the DVD for any smudges or scratches. Otherwise you might get an error later in the install.

The verify issue could also be caused by a DVD drive in your Mac that is wearing out and having issues reading part of the DVD.

What are the specs on your Mac?
QUOTE Thanks
therickster6

Quote:
Originally Posted by toMACsh View Post
You should be able to install Tiger from a black "retail" disc, and not have to take it "one step at a time". I take it you're getting this message after clicking "Install". Where did this disc come from?
Thanks for responding, I got the disk from work that was bought to upgrade our mac to tiger.
QUOTE Thanks
therickster6

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmordigal View Post
Are you sure it's verifying the DVD? I think it may be actually verifying the hard drive to make sure the file system, etc. is intact and complete to make sure it won't have trouble installing the OS.

If you want to just upgrade without reformatting the disk, you might be out of luck. Make sure your disk if formatted with the Mac OS X Extended (Journaled) file system before continuing with the install.
Thanks, I did not check to see if the drive is journaled or not . I'll try that, thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS IPad1

Like I said in my post above Tiger DOES verify the DVD before it installs. I have seen the verify fail on many systems. Mostly the DVD drive or a dirty DVD. The rest is in my post above.
QUOTE Thanks
toMACsh

Quote:
Thanks for responding, I got the disk from work that was bought to upgrade our mac to tiger.
Your place of employment has one Mac. They bought a disc to upgrade it to Tiger. You're trying to install it on your own computer as well, from that same disc. I think you'll see a little padlock soon.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

I thought this was a Black Retail DVD?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Set firmware password on MBA without using Remote Install? | Screen edges »