Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. #1


    Member Since
    Dec 20, 2010
    Posts
    5
    Upgrade from OS 10.2.8 to tiger
    I'm trying to upgrade OS 10.2.8 directly to OS 10.4 Tiger with an original Tiger DVD and it wont work and doesn't tell me why. Is it possible to do this or do I have to install 10.3 first.

  2. #2

    pigoo3's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 20, 2008
    Location
    U.S.
    Posts
    34,515
    Specs:
    2011 13" MBP 2.3ghz, 8gig ram, OS 10.8.5
    Quote Originally Posted by therickster6 View Post
    I'm trying to upgrade OS 10.2.8 directly to OS 10.4 Tiger with an original Tiger DVD and it wont work and doesn't tell me why. Is it possible to do this or do I have to install 10.3 first.
    Is this disk gray-colored?...if so...those install disks are model specific & won't work on your computer.

    - Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

  3. #3

    toMACsh's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jul 30, 2009
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    6,134
    Specs:
    Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
    Quote Originally Posted by therickster6 View Post
    I'm trying to upgrade OS 10.2.8 directly to OS 10.4 Tiger with an original Tiger DVD and it wont work and doesn't tell me why.
    What does it tell you?

  4. #4


    Member Since
    Dec 20, 2010
    Posts
    5
    Upgrade from 10.2.8 to tiger
    Quote Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
    Is this disk gray-colored?...if so...those install disks are model specific & won't work on your computer.

    - Nick
    Hi Nick, no it is an original Black OS X Tiger install DVD.
    I get a message after it starts to verify dvd disk saying there is a problem and to try again, which I did to no avail, the same message.

  5. #5


    Member Since
    Dec 20, 2010
    Posts
    5
    upgrade from 10.2.28 to tiger
    Quote Originally Posted by toMACsh View Post
    What does it tell you?
    It just says it encountered a problem and to retry, which I did and just get the same thing. Do I need to instsll 10.3 first?

  6. #6

    toMACsh's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jul 30, 2009
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    6,134
    Specs:
    Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
    You should be able to install Tiger from a black "retail" disc, and not have to take it "one step at a time". I take it you're getting this message after clicking "Install". Where did this disc come from?

  7. #7


    Member Since
    Aug 25, 2010
    Posts
    12
    Are you sure it's verifying the DVD? I think it may be actually verifying the hard drive to make sure the file system, etc. is intact and complete to make sure it won't have trouble installing the OS.

    If you want to just upgrade without reformatting the disk, you might be out of luck. Make sure your disk if formatted with the Mac OS X Extended (Journaled) file system before continuing with the install.
    YouTube Channel
    Computer Specs: MacBook (2007), 2GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 1GB RAM, 80 GB HDD w/ Snow Leopard 10.6.5 & Boot Camp (15GB, Windows XP Home)

  8. #8

    harryb2448's Avatar
    Member Since
    Nov 28, 2007
    Location
    Nambucca Heads Australia
    Posts
    21,853
    Specs:
    Imac 27" Retina 3.3GHz, 512GB Flash, 16GB memory, OS X.11.4.
    Not a Tiger Upgrade disc is it? Will upgrade from Panther only.
    Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!

  9. #9

    dtravis7's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 04, 2005
    Location
    Modesto, Ca.
    Posts
    28,898
    Specs:
    iMac 2010 27" QuadI7 OSX10.11, iMac 2008 OSX10.11, MBP Late2011OSX10.11 , iPad Air, iPhone 3GS
    No, Tiger first does a verify on the Tiger DVD. If that fails you will get that message. You can Skip the verify of the DVD but what I would do first is check the DVD for any smudges or scratches. Otherwise you might get an error later in the install.

    The verify issue could also be caused by a DVD drive in your Mac that is wearing out and having issues reading part of the DVD.

    What are the specs on your Mac?

  10. #10


    Member Since
    Dec 20, 2010
    Posts
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by toMACsh View Post
    You should be able to install Tiger from a black "retail" disc, and not have to take it "one step at a time". I take it you're getting this message after clicking "Install". Where did this disc come from?
    Thanks for responding, I got the disk from work that was bought to upgrade our mac to tiger.

  11. #11


    Member Since
    Dec 20, 2010
    Posts
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by dmordigal View Post
    Are you sure it's verifying the DVD? I think it may be actually verifying the hard drive to make sure the file system, etc. is intact and complete to make sure it won't have trouble installing the OS.

    If you want to just upgrade without reformatting the disk, you might be out of luck. Make sure your disk if formatted with the Mac OS X Extended (Journaled) file system before continuing with the install.
    Thanks, I did not check to see if the drive is journaled or not . I'll try that, thanks.

  12. #12

    dtravis7's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 04, 2005
    Location
    Modesto, Ca.
    Posts
    28,898
    Specs:
    iMac 2010 27" QuadI7 OSX10.11, iMac 2008 OSX10.11, MBP Late2011OSX10.11 , iPad Air, iPhone 3GS
    Like I said in my post above Tiger DOES verify the DVD before it installs. I have seen the verify fail on many systems. Mostly the DVD drive or a dirty DVD. The rest is in my post above.

  13. #13

    toMACsh's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jul 30, 2009
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    6,134
    Specs:
    Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
    Quote Originally Posted by therickster6 View Post
    Thanks for responding, I got the disk from work that was bought to upgrade our mac to tiger.
    Your place of employment has one Mac. They bought a disc to upgrade it to Tiger. You're trying to install it on your own computer as well, from that same disc. I think you'll see a little padlock soon.

  14. #14

    dtravis7's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 04, 2005
    Location
    Modesto, Ca.
    Posts
    28,898
    Specs:
    iMac 2010 27" QuadI7 OSX10.11, iMac 2008 OSX10.11, MBP Late2011OSX10.11 , iPad Air, iPhone 3GS
    I thought this was a Black Retail DVD?

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Upgrade to tiger?
    By scottyk617 in forum OS X - Operating System
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-12-2008, 12:06 AM
  2. Upgrade to Tiger?
    By brandnewrock22 in forum OS X - Operating System
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-27-2005, 10:46 PM
  3. Tiger Upgrade Help
    By altyson in forum OS X - Operating System
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-12-2005, 05:42 PM
  4. Tiger Upgrade?
    By JRV in forum Switcher Hangout
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 06-20-2005, 02:26 PM
  5. upgrade to tiger
    By zap2 in forum OS X - Operating System
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-09-2005, 09:42 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •