Specs:
    Late '09 Macbook Pro 13"
    Time Machine - restore from Mac disaster
    I perform regular backups of my MBP onto an external drive with Time Machine. For the sake of discussion, let's say my MBP was completely destroyed or otherwise rendered inoperable. Using TM and it's backups on my external drive, how would I restore all of my data to a new Mac?
    Don't believe anything I tell you, unless it is consistent with what you already know to be true, or unless you have taken the time to research the matter to prove its accuracy to your satisfaction. This is known as "doing your homework."

Specs:
    C2D 2.26 | 500GB Seagate Momentus | 2GB 1066 (soon to be 8)
    You would do a clean install of the OS on the new machine then backup from Time Machine during the install with Migration Assistant.
    USAF E-2. 1C6X1 - Space Systems Operations. 19 days until BMT.
    Upgrade your MBP HD
    Tritton AXPro FS

Specs:
    Late '09 Macbook Pro 13"
    Quote Originally Posted by s2odin View Post
    You would do a clean install of the OS on the new machine then backup from Time Machine during the install with Migration Assistant.
    OK, thank you. One more thing...If I were to buy a new Mac at the Apple store, would they do the migration for me?

All theoretical, of course as nothing untoward has happened to my MBP. Knock on wood.
    Don't believe anything I tell you, unless it is consistent with what you already know to be true, or unless you have taken the time to research the matter to prove its accuracy to your satisfaction. This is known as "doing your homework."

Specs:
    Unibody MacBook Pro 2.26, 4gb RAM, 500gb HD
    Quote Originally Posted by wavinwayne View Post
    OK, thank you. One more thing...If I were to buy a new Mac at the Apple store, would they do the migration for me?

All theoretical, of course as nothing untoward has happened to my MBP. Knock on wood.
    Perhaps. It takes a time though. You'd be at the store for a while. It's pretty idiot proof. Run Migration Assistant. Select the backup source. Let it sit for a couple hours and do their thing...

If both machines are running, you can also migrate directly from one to another without Time Machine.

If you want to see the first steps, just run Migration Assistant on your existing MBP. It's already preinstalled.

Specs:
    Late '09 Macbook Pro 13"
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaygray View Post
    ...If you want to see the first steps, just run Migration Assistant on your existing MBP. It's already preinstalled.
    I will do that. Thanks.

Specs:
    C2D 2.26 | 500GB Seagate Momentus | 2GB 1066 (soon to be 8)
    Quote Originally Posted by wavinwayne View Post

Yea, they would.
    USAF E-2. 1C6X1 - Space Systems Operations. 19 days until BMT.
    Upgrade your MBP HD
    Tritton AXPro FS

Thread Information