New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OSX update help required

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

5h1n0b1

5h1n0b1 is on a distinguished road

Hey all, I have purchased an ex-business iMac (G4 20") and i absolutely love it. It has OSX 10.3.8 running quite happily. But, after reading on a few websites, I understand that it could run up to OSX 10.5.8. Is there any procedure to go through in order for me to update, or can i just get OSX 10.5.8 to run without the intermediate issues (10.3.9, 10.4 etc. etc.)? ANY help would be most appreciated.
Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

The biggest issue is going to be trying to find a retail (black) version of Leopard at a decent price. Since it's the last version of OS X that's compatible with PPC machines, the demand is high and availability is limited. Be prepared to pay a premium price.

Other than that, you should have no problem updating. Max out the G4 memory if you can and make a backup of everything before you install Leopard.
QUOTE Thanks
5h1n0b1

5h1n0b1 is on a distinguished road

excellent news (apart from the old money bit!)
i just ordered some RAM boards (by mistake may i add (oops!))
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Imovie issue | Applecare and Emulators... Happily ever after? »