New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

CCC for backup.... need a backup plan

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Matteo

Matteo is on a distinguished road

Hi guys

Im just about to install mac box snow leopard onto my macbook pro.

Ive found ccc and it looks pretty good. One thing is I have an external hard drive which is 500gb with loads of files on it.

I want to use this as my backup drive for my mac stuff but in doing so will it wipe all that's on there already...? I hope not.

Is CCC easy to use and does it really work...?
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

Yes CCC does work and work well. I dont use CCC i like the paid .v of SuperDuper. If CCC is anything like SD then it will ask you all the way if you want to do a certain task. In SD i have options (advance paid part) that can do a full back up, a erase of HD and then Backup or save all files and back up the latest files on the Mac .... Best to open it and find out what it has to offer .... As i said if its like SD then you might have a few options to play around with it

Cheers

CogFrog Studio's ~ Photography, Apps and Web Development
Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Crrating a bootable backup with CCC or SD! Is going to erase everything on the partition.

If you can't back up your existing data in order to partition the drive, then use Time Machine instead. It will live on a partition with other data.

All 3 of these require a HFS partition. If your current external is not HFS, then you'll not use any of them without reformatting the drive.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
Matteo

Cool, Ive just done it on a usb drive.

I was only transferring two programs (propellehead Reason and Record).

The rest of the stuff I dont mind being deleted when I install a fresh copy of Snow Leopard.

The only thing ( as mentioned in another post) is will the backups of these two programs transfer its license keys etc or will I need to transfer some other stuff.

If anyone could advise me what else to backup besides these two just in case, that would be swell.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

You need to keep track of your license keys - period - with any software that uses keys.

QUOTE Thanks
Matteo

ah ok

Luckily I have them all so it shouldn't be a problem. Just found out that the programs I need can just be installed again and license keys re-entered which for me works out fine as everything else can go

Thanks Bob
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

One way to keep track of those keys and passwords: until you break down and get 1Password (or I hear Roboform is now available) is to use your Keychain. Open it up, put the shortcut on your menu bar and then create a New Secure Note for all those things you're needing to save.

QUOTE Thanks
Matteo

Cool Bob Ill bear that in mind.

By the way ccc is a great program, so easy to use and when I tested it worked perfectly.

Will be at shop door bright and early tommorow to get the Leopard of Snow.
Quite pleased that I don't have to buy the "mac box set" as told to on the apple website, getting Sleopard on its own is quite a bit cheaper...
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2009 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

Well, yes, all that's true ...

BUT the reason why you might want the Mac Box set anyway is that your iLife suite really should be updated to go along with the move to Snow Leopard, AND if you use iWork that also should be updated. Big improvements in the latest versions. So the MBS isn't really a bad deal at all.

Obviously if you've already bought the latest iLife and/or iWork then nevermind.
QUOTE Thanks
Matteo

Cheers

I looked at Ilife but to be honest there is nothing I really want on there.

My mac will strictly be for web design and making music and I have the programs for that.

All the messy stuff will be done on my pc.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« OS X Operating system snow leopard | MAC OS X 10.3 PANTHER Issue »