New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Older iMac with Snow Leopard hangs

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

ceport

ceport is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac 27" 2.7 GHz 4GB Ram

I have an iMac, model 6,1 with Snow Leopard, that occasionally hangs. I might click on an application (iPhoto for example) in the dock and the icon expands and it stops right there or when an application first starts, its window is displayed on the screen but never gets completely filled and it hangs there. Can't force quit because the keyboard and mouse are inoperable. BTW, both keyboard and mouse are wireless. Only solution so far is to power off and power on. Then it runs fine for several days. I have run disk Utility and it indicates the disk is OK.
Has anyone else seen this condition?
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

The symptoms you describe can possibly be attributed to bad or failing memory or a problem with the graphics processor.

Perform the Apple Hardware Test with your original install recovery DVD that you received with your iMac. Run the extended tests. There is also the free MemTest for OS X which you can download from here.
QUOTE Thanks
ceport

ceport is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac 27" 2.7 GHz 4GB Ram

Thanks chscag.
Tried both suggestions. No problems found. Don't know about the video card. I've had no visible problems with it though, so I think it is OK.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« floating mac logo in lower left... | Trying to install lepoard HELP HELP! »