New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

need help with os x!!!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

coppola21

coppola21 is on a distinguished road

i just got my iMac fixed and got it back the other day. the guy who fixed it had to put xp on it and told me i had to reboot it with os x tiger and update to snow leopard. i cant get internet or noting on my iMac right now and i seriously have no idea what to do. can some one please help me asap. tell me what to download and what to install to get it running on snow leopard again
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4

You go out and buy the Snow Leopard disc ~ there is nothing to download other than pirate copies. Sounds like you took it to some guy at a PC shop who knows nothing about Macs.

Suggest you buy the Snow Leopard disc, boot from the disc and format the hard drive, partition, and do a clean install from your new discs. Then consider installing XP or whatever via BootCamp.

To run Snow Leopard your machine, of which you provided no helpful details, must be an Intel model as PPC iMacs such as G5 etc, will not run Snow Leopaqrd.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
6string

6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)

See your other post where I responded with the clean install instructions.
Please don't cross post
http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/win...5-xp-os-x.html
QUOTE Thanks
coppola21

sorry about the cross posting ive just been very frustrated with this because i havent had my mac in two weeks. well when i first got it it came with xp and i booted snow leopard and it worked fine but this guy told me to do tiger first so i wasnt sure, but ill be fine just booting snow leopard right from the disc?
QUOTE Thanks
6string

6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)

I don't know what this guy did, or is talking about.

When you say it came with XP, I'm guessing that you mean that it had XP installed with bootcamp, as in you had to hold option when starting, and pick between OS X and XP to boot.

When you hold option while booting now, what comes up?
QUOTE Thanks
coppola21

No I don't think it's bootcamp, see my Mac would not turn on about two weeks ago, I would press power and the circle loading icon would come on but it would shutdown after, so the guy came to look at it and said it was the harddrive so he replaced the harddrive and the RAM and when he did he installed windows xp on it and told me i had to instal is x tiger first before I update to snow leopard, because I can't access Internet or anything on it right now, and I have no idea what to do
QUOTE Thanks
coppola21

Os x tiger *
QUOTE Thanks
6string

I don't know what he's done or why you can't access the internet, and I don't know what the guy did, as a failed hard drive won't make the much shut down after the loading circle.... actually sounds like RAM or Logic board if anything, or a liquid spill.

Anyway, if you have you're original install discs, follow my clean install instructions in your other thread http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/win...5-xp-os-x.html
If you don't, go get Snow Leopard and perform the clean install.

PS. Stay away from non authorised Apple Repairers
QUOTE Thanks
coppola21

i had the original discs but my dad lost them.. so i downloaded a copy and its a dmg file, would i burn the dmg file or change it to .iso and burn it? well i went to this guy because i bought my mac used off of someone so i wasnt sure if apple would take care of it considering i dont have warranty or anything on it
QUOTE Thanks
6string

Quote:
Originally Posted by coppola21 View Post
i had the original discs but my dad lost them.. so i downloaded a copy and its a dmg file, would i burn the dmg file or change it to .iso and burn it? well i went to this guy because i bought my mac used off of someone so i wasnt sure if apple would take care of it considering i dont have warranty or anything on it
Downloading OS X is illegal, and even if it weren't, it would be a great way to get malware!
No help is going to be given to you here!

Call Apple with your serial number and they'll send you original install discs for around $17-$20, or buy Snow Leopard $29.
I would advise buying both!
QUOTE Thanks
coppola21

yah i was just gonna do that, where would my serial number be located?
QUOTE Thanks
6string

Since you can't log into OS X, and I don't know which iMac you have....
Locating your iMac Serial Number
QUOTE Thanks
coppola21

now the software i need to buy is mac os x snow leopard for 35$ correct? and just do a clean install ill be fine?
QUOTE Thanks
6string

US$29 from Apple, or there abouts wherever you are located depending on where you buy it.
Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard - Apple Store (U.S.)
QUOTE Thanks
coppola21

thank you very much!!! im installing it at the moment thanks for all the help!!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« help: lingon terminal command at startup python string | Disappearing dock »