New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Mac OSX 10.6.4 Startup problem. TRIED EVERYTHING.

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Mattlol

Mattlol is on a distinguished road

Hey, today I experienced a number of screen crashes while playing a game, I ended up having to force a shut down, 3 times.
Now when i boot up into my mac drive the apple logo appears, the loading wheel loads (the gray one) for a while then stops.
I have tried everything, fsck (dident seem to help, tried it a number of times), booting from install disk (just asks me to reboot, i reboot then its the same thing again), deleting pram and the other volatile ram and safe mode. Nothing seems to work, and im unable to boot in safe mode as the loading bar gets around half way and just stops, goes away and the wheel spins then pauses like before.
Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

I can guarantee you...you have NOT tried everything!

If you're able to boot from an OS install disk...then there's a good possibility that the hard drive is dead or dying.

When you boot from the OS install disk...have you tried running Disk Utility on the hard drive to see if there are any problems...and if there are...using Disk Utility's "repair disk" feature. You can also try repairing permissions...again using Disk Utility.

Good luck,

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
Mattlol

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
I can guarantee you...you have NOT tried everything!

If you're able to boot from an OS install disk...then there's a good possibility that the hard drive is dead or dying.

When you boot from the OS install disk...have you tried running Disk Utility on the hard drive to see if there are any problems...and if there are...using Disk Utility's "repair disk" feature. You can also try repairing permissions...again using Disk Utility.

Good luck,

- Nick
sorry if i explained my problem badly, i meant that when i did boot from an OS install disk it dident boot, at all, it simply asked me to restart the computer.
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4

Nick I guess means the original install discs, but agree sounds like dying hard drive. Pop the original install disc in, reboot and hold down 'D' if an Intel machine and run Apple Hardware Test. Not using discs from another machine are you as these will not boot. You do have the original discs that came with the machine I trust?

Also always supply machine details and OS.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
Mattlol

Yes, both the original and the leopard are original the first being the one that came with my iMac and the second being a retail version I bought from an apple store just the other day.
QUOTE Thanks
Mattlol

When I do try and boot from my snowleopard install disk, I get the logo, the spinning loading bar, then the screen turns dark grey and a message box comes up telling me to restart my computer
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute

Thoughts:

- IF your OS install disks are full retail & are not damaged (and the computer won't boot from them)
- IF your optical drive (CD/DVD) is not damaged.
- IF your hard drive is not damaged

THEN...about the only thing that is left is a bad logic board.

You mentioned in your 3rd post that we are talking about an Mac. How old is this iMac & what model is it? Does it still have Applecare on it?...if so get to the nearest Apple Store ASAP for them to check it out.

HTH,

- Nick

- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
QUOTE Thanks
Mattlol

I just got this computer back from the store, there was video card fault. I guess my force shut down was the main cause of all this.
QUOTE Thanks
Mattlol

It's over 2years old, first time it's started messing up like this. Is there any way I can completely reinstall the os?
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattlol View Post
When I do try and boot from my snowleopard install disk, I get the logo, the spinning loading bar, then the screen turns dark grey and a message box comes up telling me to restart my computer
Is this the window that comes up...says you needs to restart...and is in something like 4 languages?

This is usually hardware related. Have you installed any new ram into this computer recently. If so, it may be bad. Pull out the new ram & install the old ram...and see if this helps.

If you did not install any new/different ram...this message may point back to a bad logic board.

One other thing...do you have any peripheral devices plugged into your iMac? If so, unplug that...and try starting the iMac again.

Good luck,

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks
Mattlol

When I said back from the store i mean this week, I send it in a few weeks ago because the screen wouldent turn on.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
I just got this computer back from the store, there was video card fault. I guess my force shut down was the main cause of all this.
What do you mean by this? We really need more detail in order to help & understand what's going on!

This is something you should have mentioned in the beginning of this thread!

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks
Mattlol

No, no new ram has been installed recently

and yes that window with four languages appears
QUOTE Thanks
Mattlol

By the way, I do greatly apprichiate all the help here.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
When I said back from the store i mean this week, I send it in a few weeks ago because the screen wouldent turn on.
Again...more detail!

- who did you send it in to?
- what did "they" say?
- did "they" repair anything?
- are you saying that the computer worked after you got it back...and now a short time later it's not working again?

Come on...you got to give us the whole story...not keep giving us "bits & pieces"! All of this should have been in your original post!

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« How to Boot Power Mac from mac 10.4 discs | url streams as a desktop background...? »