New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Boot Camp Will Not Allow Me To Partition

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

MacManNeedsHelp

MacManNeedsHelp is on a distinguished road

Model Name: MacBook
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Hi. I am trying to Install Windows XP Home Edition on my Macbook using Bootcamp Assistant and when I get to the Partitioning Stage it comes up with a box saying, "The disk cannot be partitioned because some files cannot be moved. Back up the disk and use Disk Utility to format it as a single Mac OS Extended (Journaled) volume. Restore your information to the disk and try using Boot Camp Assistant again." I do not know what this means and please help me to guide myself through this. Thankyou.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

That error is telling you that your hard drive does not have enough contiguous free space in order to create a partition. You have two choices to correct it:

1. Erase the hard drive, reinstall OS X, restore from backup. (Using Time Machine.)

2. Try using a defragmentation program to consolidate the free space on the drive. iDefrag ($29.95)
QUOTE Thanks
MacManNeedsHelp

Thank you sooo much but for the time machine it says i need a backup disc or backup something. What exactly is that? Can I use a flash drive or how does that work?
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute

It's best to use an external hard drive for a Time Machine backup. A flash drive will most likely be too small and flash drives are usually formatted as FAT-32 or FAT-16. Time Machine will only backup to a drive formatted to the Mac OS X standard: HFS Extended Journaled.
QUOTE Thanks
MacManNeedsHelp

Newegg.com - cirago 80GB USB 2.0 External Hard Drive CST1080
would this work? is it compatible for macs?
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

Yes, it will work but it's rather small to be using for Time Machine backups.

You didn't say how large your internal hard drive is, but you should use a drive as least as large as the one in your machine.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Issues Downloading Youtube vids in safari | Time Machine Restore Issues - Kind of Odd... »