New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Access and permission problems for newbie

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Murphy

Murphy is on a distinguished road

OK, I just switched to mac and wanted to transfer a video file from desktop to a WD drive. It said I only have read privileges. I followed the help guide and "get info" etc. The Help guide suggested that there is a "lock" icon I can click on so that I can adjust permissions on this drive but there is no such icon that I can see. It means I cant even access my own drive to transfer a file over....is this a problem because the drive was formatted on a PC? How can I access this drive?? There is no lock icon!! Any ideas?
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

mrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i7 (2011) 10.9, iPhone5s, iPad Air, AppleTV2

It's likely formatted as NTFS which, natively, is only read-only in OSX.

There are various ways to solve the problem (a search on these very forums will turn up many and give more info on the pros and cons of each) but here are a few:
1. NTFS Mounter
2. PARAGON Software Group - NTFS for Mac, communication channel between Mac OS X and Windows
3. iKreativ | Enable NTFS Read/Write Support OS X
4. NTFS-3G for Mac OS X

External hard disk acquisition addict - but admitting the problem is the first step to a robust backup

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - top right of this post
QUOTE Thanks
Murphy

Murphy is on a distinguished road

thanks. the NTFS 3G worked perfectly. Many thanks!!!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Upgrade to Leopard from Tiger | Upgrade then Downgrade OSX? »