New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

How to Unlcok filevault without a login. Forgot password.

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

campbell_s2010

campbell_s2010 is on a distinguished road

So here is the story. My wife and I own a 03 Mac G4 with new software OS X 10.4. well new at the time I bought it. anyways, the samsung power supply went out on the computer two years ago. The computer I dont care about that much but what is on the hard drive I do. So i just completed installing all the parts needed and as soon as I turnned the computer on..... yep it ask me for a code my wife put on. (its her computer. I know. i know. she cant remeber the login and password. Key problem is the home folder is "filevaulted"

So, i have been searching the web for any headway. below is a list of my pro's and cons.

Pros.
- I have the mac OS X software complete in package.
- and I have internet.

Cons
- I do not have the master login/password
-don't have a the correct password nor login.

all i care about is pulling the documents from the two hard drives I.E. pictures, video, documents, music.

Question?????????????????

How do I get into my old computer?

apple.support stats if you lost your admint password on a filevault home folder your F*&^ked.

Is my music/photos/documents in my home folder? regular set-up was done when OS X was installed. can i reboot mac and still have what I am trying to pull off the hard drives?

can I pull the harddrives and transfer the information onto another hardrive???? then whip my computer clean?????

PLease advice if you know a way.

Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
Printerman

Printerman is a jewel in the roughPrinterman is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iMac10,1, 3.06 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo Processor, 10.8.2, 21.5" screen.

Nope.
QUOTE Thanks
Printerman

Printerman is a jewel in the roughPrinterman is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iMac10,1, 3.06 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo Processor, 10.8.2, 21.5" screen.

Ugh sorry about the last unfinished post, I accidentally hit post quick reply before I was done, and you can't edit posts in the mobil le version.

Nope. Nearly 100% sure your files are lost. That's the point if filevault. No one is supposed to be able to access your files without the password. That's why most of us urge for people not to use it unless absolutely necessary.
QUOTE Thanks
Dalton63841

Dalton63841 is on a distinguished road

Sadly, if you don't know your password, or the master password, and the "password hint" didn't help you, then that data is lost. Sorry, wish the answer were more positive.
QUOTE Thanks
6string

6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)

For any who comes across this thread......
STAY AWAY FROM FILEVAULT unless you are a bank, secret agent, etc!
Even then..... get a real vault!!!
QUOTE Thanks
campbell_s2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6string View Post
For any who comes across this thread......
STAY AWAY FROM FILEVAULT unless you are a bank, secret agent, etc!
Even then..... get a real vault!!!
Still the question stands. Is it possible to pull the hard drives and transfer documents to another hard drive? Is the Filevault encryption Built in to the mother board or on each hard drive?
QUOTE Thanks
campbell_s2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Printerman View Post
Ugh sorry about the last unfinished post, I accidentally hit post quick reply before I was done, and you can't edit posts in the mobil le version.

Nope. Nearly 100% sure your files are lost. That's the point if filevault. No one is supposed to be able to access your files without the password. That's why most of us urge for people not to use it unless absolutely necessary.
I here ya. Ya I wish I was the one who added the new software. I was un aware the were on lock down so much. is it possible to remove the hard drives and transfer to another hard drive? I guess I'm asking is the encryprion based on the motherboard or in each HD?

Second questions is if Mac OS X was install the "recommend" way. (just regular chick, install) will my documents be in my "home folder"?

Third, I have two HD 60G's I believe OS X is installed only on the primary HD. if I pull the second HD...whip computer clean and install back in to a fresh computer, will I have the documents from HD 2??????

Thanks for the ear/help
QUOTE Thanks
technologist

technologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)

When you turn on FileVault, your home folder's contents are placed inside an encrypted disk image file. Even if you connect the hard drive to another machine, the disk image file will still be encrypted. The only way to decrypt that file it is with the password or master password.

There's no way around that. It wouldn't be much use as a security feature if it didn't work that way.

Any files not stored in the FileVault home folder would not be part of the encrypted image and will still be accessible.
QUOTE Thanks
DarkestRitual

DarkestRitual is just really niceDarkestRitual is just really niceDarkestRitual is just really niceDarkestRitual is just really nice
Mac Specs: 13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac

FileVault only uses 128 bit AES encryption. Get a password hash generator and go to town.
QUOTE Thanks
campbell_s2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkestRitual View Post
FileVault only uses 128 bit AES encryption. Get a password hash generator and go to town.
"hash generator." Please Elaborate. I dont this one. find someone who can break to encryption? I mean I own the danm computer. paperwork and all. not like I'm steeling something. just want my documents from the past 5 years. now I know the keys words we would have used for login and password. I just can seem to get it write. I have a whole page written out with key words it could be. do people have the ability to input my quessed password and have a computer run algorithum?????
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

You're fighting a losing battle. As "technologist" pointed out, your home folder is in an encrypted disk image file. Without the password your data is lost. Forget about hash generators or cracking. Either remember the password or move on and try to piece your data together again if possible.
QUOTE Thanks
technologist

technologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkestRitual View Post
"Only" 128-bit AES, huh? So if you can get a few thousand IBM Blue Gene nodes, it'll only take you a few millennia to crack. No problem.
QUOTE Thanks
DaFlake

DaFlake has a spectacular aura about

Yeah, you aren't going to crack it. If you can't remember your password then you are out of luck.
QUOTE Thanks
campbell_s2010

Well thanks for the help everyone.
QUOTE Thanks
DarkestRitual

DarkestRitual is just really niceDarkestRitual is just really niceDarkestRitual is just really niceDarkestRitual is just really nice
Mac Specs: 13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac

Something like a modded version of JohnTheRipper (there are custom versions) to work on cracking that pass. If it's that important to you, it's do-able.

It could take a few millenia if you used a 9+ character password with upper and lowercase letters.

How I’d Hack Your Weak Passwords

This link has a nice table showing the amount of time with an average PC.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Restore language packs OS X 10.5.8 | Blue Question Marks in Browser »