Clone MBP core duo to iMac i3?

I have an iMac i3 coming in the mail, and I am thinking about cloning my MBP to the new iMac. I was planning to make sure it is running the same OS version, then use Target Disk Mode to mount the iMac on my MBP (Intel Core Duo), then use Carbon Copy Cloner to clone the entire MBP onto the new iMac. Is the difference in processors a problem? Can use my external clone to test it by booting the new iMac from the external clone? I am hoping that by cloning I will not have to reinstall all my software. Is that even accurate?

Specs:
    27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, iPhone 6+, 3 iPods, Yosemite
    When your new iMac arrives and you turn it on for the first time, it's going to ask if you wish to migrate from another Mac.

Instead of Target mode, backup your MBP using Time Machine (to an external drive), and then attach the external to your new iMac when it asks about migrating. It should then move all your documents, apps, settings, and so forth to the new iMac. It will not move system files or kernel extensions which are different because of the differing hardware.

Quote Originally Posted by chscag View Post
    When your new iMac arrives and you turn it on for the first time, it's going to ask if you wish to migrate from another Mac.

Instead of Target mode, backup your MBP using Time Machine (to an external drive), and then attach the external to your new iMac when it asks about migrating. It should then move all your documents, apps, settings, and so forth to the new iMac. It will not move system files or kernel extensions which are different because of the differing hardware.
    This^^^^ Great answer.

Thread Information