New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Remote Access to Harddrives

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

despair

despair is on a distinguished road

I have been looking around and cannot really find the answer to this question.
On my home network I have a mac pro with 2 internal HDs that I want to configure to access remotely. I am running Leopard on my mac pro and Snow Leopard on my laptop which I will use to access these drives. I want to set it up so that I can do connect to server or something and it will allow me to mount my 2 harddrives on my mac pro. I am not running server software on the mac pro just normal leopard. The mac pro is also on a Cisco/Linksys home network. I can easily open ports etc. So i need to set it up so i can do connect to server (afp://myhomeip) and it will allow me to access my 2 home harddrives. I know I can setup an FTP server on that computer but I would much rather be able to mount the drives as network drives. Any help would me much appreciated.
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

From what I understand, this should be possible. You'll need to forward port 548 (AFAIK, that's the AFP port) to your Mac Pro. Then, outside of your home network, simply connect to afp://<external IP>. You should be prompted for a username and password.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Personal Twitter
QUOTE Thanks
despair

despair is on a distinguished road

thanks for the quick response, i'll try that when i get home. then do i also have to add the 2 drives under the file sharing section in system preferences.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Update Mac 10.2.3 | eMac 1GHz no sound mac 10.4.11 but sound works ubuntu 10.10 »