New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

eMac 1GHz no sound mac 10.4.11 but sound works ubuntu 10.10

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

tacowper

tacowper is on a distinguished road

I have an eMac that I bought from a public school auction nearly a years ago. I've installed and reinstalled os 10.4.11 from the grey eMac cd's that came with it many times as well as followed the troubleshooting found at apple for sound problems. The start up sound works, but there is no sound after that; no sound card is detected, no sound from the headphone jack, no sound from the spreakers, no sound period.

A few weeks ago, I installed Ubuntu 10.10 for PPC on it in a separate partiton on the hard drive and the sound works. I have no problem using Ubuntu, but still prefer the Mac os.

Any idea if the educational eMac 1 GHZ made in 2006 had different sound boards than a regular eMac? If so where could I get the right software to make the sound work in 10.4.11?
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4

G'day and welcome to the forums.

You were lucky to get Tiger on the eMac as they are not the original system discs for that computer. Tiger was the original install disc for late model G4 eMacs only, 1.42GHz, PowerMac G5's, iMac G5's Macbooks and later. In fact the 1GHz eMac came with OS X.2 so someone has grabbed some 1.42 discs and that could well be your problem.

Try running Repair Permissions in Disk Utility a couple of times and see if there is any improvement.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
tacowper

tacowper is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the suggestion, but I've tried it before with no success. I also have tried installing 10.2 as well (from retail install discs), but this eMac will not boot from them. This is an educational model that was made when the retail model being sold at the same time was the 1.42 GHz model. It shares the 1.42s video, original hard drive size, etc. which is what makes me wonder about the sound electronics possibly being non-standard for a 1GHz.
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4

That is something you will have to do a lot of work on.

Many eMacs sold to educational institutions had all sorts of non standard features to suit each institutions requirements.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Remote Access to Harddrives | png. image files »