New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Using Terminal to access other computers on Network

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

hockeyfan651439

hockeyfan651439 is on a distinguished road

Hello,
I am wondering how to use terminal to access files and directories on another computer within the same wireless network. I have heard of SSH but no nothing of it, I have pretty decent terminal knowledge and have found it to be a great asset on my own computer but would love to be able to control and organize my desktop in the other room from my laptop in my bedroom... is this possible? How easy or feasible is it?

The more detailed of an answer the best!

I have tried researching online but the problem is keyword "mac" corresponds to MAC Address and "terminal" is a server term so I can't slim results to what I am looking for.

THANK YOU!
QUOTE Thanks
McYukon

McYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP i7 2.7 GHz 15" Matte - 16 GB RAM - 120 GB Intel SSD - 500 GB DataDoubler Mac OS 10.9

SSH can be used to access other computers on the network, if it is something that you want to do to organize your other desktop I don't know.

Quick n' Fast tutorial.
#1 In System Preferences>Sharing turn on "Remote Login", once turned on it will tell you with what IP and username you can SSH in from the other Mac.
#2 On the other Mac in the Terminal application, type in the text it showed you on the other Mac when you turned on SSH access. Usually this is in the format of username@theMachinesLocalIP
#3 After hitting the enter key you should be logged into the other Mac. Since you said you have some experience in Terminal I assume you know how to navigate through folders.

The Other Easy Way.
Again in the Sharing tab of System Preferences of the Mac you want to manage, turn on "Screen Sharing". (This feature is present since Leopard as far I recall.)
Now in the Finder of the other Mac, your Desktop Mac will be listed in a list on the lift called "Shared". Click on it and then click on "View screen" (or something to that effect).
You can then use your other Mac as if you were sitting in front of it.

Use the reputation system if a post helps you!
Mac Forums IRC Channel - Help build it by hanging out with us
The next sentence is true. The previous sentence is false.
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

If you want to move files from the server (machine you're accessing) to and from your machine through ssh, scp is your friend. Take a look here for an ssh/scp tutorial. Before you try the commands there, make sure to do the the first step in McYukon's previous post.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Personal Twitter
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Boot iMac from USB drive failing | LaCie external hard drive issues with time machine »