New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Trouble with "places" in finder's sidebar

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Spielmeister

Spielmeister is on a distinguished road

Hi,

I'm having some trouble with the Finder Sidebar. Whenever I logout the sidebar resets to its default stage. I'm tired of this since I like to have some folders under the Places section, but they never stay after logging out. It doesn't matter if I drag the actual folder or its alias to the places section, they always disappear.

In the past it was working excellent but recently (about 2-3 months from now) I started with this problem.

Anyone knows a way to solve this issue?
QUOTE Thanks
toMACsh

toMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to all
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core 2 Duo

It could be that your Finder plist is corrupt. Go here: HD/Users/YourUserName/Library/Preferences and move this file: com.apple.finder.plist to your Desktop.
Restart the computer. This will make a new Finder plist file with default settings.
Report your result here.
QUOTE Thanks
Spielmeister

Ok, so I moved com.apple.finder.plist to my Desktop, restarted and the file generated again after reboot.

Any further steps?

Thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
6string

6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)

The file is supposed to regenerate after reboot... a new default finder .plst!
From there you need to put what you want under places again, reboot and see if the changes are sticking now after rebooting.
QUOTE Thanks
Spielmeister

After the finder .plist regeneration, still the sidebar resets after reboot. What else could be corrupted?

Thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
6string

6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)

hmmm, this I don't know.
If it's not working though, to save the headache of endless troubleshooting, I would create a new admin account and see if the same behaviour happens in the newly created account.
QUOTE Thanks
Spielmeister

Well it doesn't. In a new admin account, sidebar stays as I want. Man, it is such a pain to move my preferences and docs over to the new account.
QUOTE Thanks
6string

Well we at least know that there is a corrupt preference there somewhere in your admin account.
Maybe someone will come along with a fix shortly.
QUOTE Thanks
toMACsh

toMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6string View Post
Well we at least know that there is a corrupt preference there somewhere in your admin account.
Maybe someone will come along with a fix shortly.
Try com.apple.systemui.plist (system user interface) instead.
QUOTE Thanks
Spielmeister

Quote:
Originally Posted by toMACsh View Post
Try com.apple.systemui.plist (system user interface) instead.
I only have com.apple.systemuiserver.plist I assume this isn't normal. Should I try with this one instead?
QUOTE Thanks
toMACsh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spielmeister View Post
I only have com.apple.systemuiserver.plist I assume this isn't normal.
That's the one. Perfectly normal. I was going on memory alone, and forgot the "server" part.
QUOTE Thanks
Spielmeister

It didn't change a thing. I still have the problem.

Finally I decided to migrate all my files and preferences to a new admin account. At least I know this account does not have any corrupt plist and works perfect with the sidebar.

Anyways, thanks for your assistance guys. I'm glad you were there to help
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Accessing photos from another account? | OS X didn't ask for admin password »