New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

How to restore from an image disk?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

DigitALL

DigitALL is an unknown at this point

My MAC was working fine and at that point from Disk Utility, selecting the main disk, clicked on "New Image" and saved the entire disk as a backup. It resulted in a 135Gb dmg file. I uploaded on USB hard disk together with other files and backups.

After some time I screwed up the system with some application and had problems at boot up.

I considered that I have no problem since I have the dmg backup. So I booted up from the original SL disk and selected from Utilities menu, "Restore System from backup" but the USB (where the image is saved) is inserted but it can not find it. (?!)

Then I went back to Utilities/Disk Utility and noticed that my USB drive it does shows up. I clicked on the main disk (damaged boot), selected the "Restore" tab, then selected the dmg image from the disk, selected where to restore and and Go... but I get "Restore Failure, Could not find any scan information. The source image needs to be imagescanned before it can be restored" ...and I am stuck! What this message means and how I can get around it to have a successful restore?
Do I have to erase the partition of the original disk before?
Thank you.
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4 and OS X.10

How did you 'upload' it ~ drag and drop may well have been the problem as it is a pretty large file. If you have an external or a spare internal hard disk, clone your operating system using Carbon Copy Cloner or SuperDuper.

Assuming you have an Intel machine, your post does not provide this important information, an external USB drive will be bootable from the cloned copy.
QUOTE Thanks
DigitALL

DigitALL is an unknown at this point

sorry for my lack of info. Yes it is an Intel machine with SL OsX loaded on and currently I am not able to boot from it anymore.

I have a USB hard disk that I use it just to dump on it files from multiple computers. This is not bootable, just a storage device. On this portable hard drive I have saved the dmg file resulted from making the boot disk image with Disk Utility.

At boot up with the original SL disk I have no option to drag anything. I just click on the source and select the dmg source from the portable disk and then I select target the Mac's main boot up disk.
When I start the process I get: "Restore Failure, Could not find any scan information. The source image needs to be imagescanned before it can be restored"
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Have a read through this thread:

Apple - Support - Discussions - Disk Utility issue since snow Leopard ...

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Netowork Upgrade Issue on OSX | Can't boot iMac »