New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Lost ADMIN PASSWORD

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

acoxie

acoxie is on a distinguished road

I am unable to install snow leopard as it appears the admin password i enter is incorrect. I tried to rest it with startup disk but still wont work. The computer is two years old and given to me by my daughter yesterday so I could reinstall as nothing on it but I cant do this without admin pasword. any suggestios.
thank you
Acoxie
QUOTE Thanks
Raz0rEdge

Raz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3

If your daughter gave it you, ask her for the admin password...

If there's nothing on there, then in the installation Disk Utility erase the disk and have it reformat and install Snow Leopard as a fresh installation and it won't ask for any previous installation passwords..

Regards
QUOTE Thanks
acoxie

She had erased it so startup was as a new computer. Why it wont accept my reset password I find odd. I cant re istall without passwor
Acoxie
QUOTE Thanks
DarkestRitual

DarkestRitual is just really niceDarkestRitual is just really niceDarkestRitual is just really niceDarkestRitual is just really nice
Mac Specs: 13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac

start up in single user mode (cmd +S at start up)

Code:
fsck -fy
mount -uw /
lauchctl load /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.DirectoryServices.plist
dscl . -passwd /Users/username password
Obviously replace the username with the account's user name, and password with what you want it to be. Try that way.
QUOTE Thanks
acoxie

Started with cmd and s but still just went to home screen not install page. The only way I can re install appears to be with admin password. Earlier holdin down c worked but not now.
Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4 and OS X.10

Pop in the SL DVD, hit reboot and hold down Option key. This should give you the option of starting from the drive or the SL disc. Select that, go into Utilities > Disk Utility > Erase Disk > Format and back to Installer.

And you are using the Command key, one with the apple icon on it?
QUOTE Thanks
acoxie

Tried all options. Still opens on home screen and need admin password to proceed which I have not got. If I erase HD in utilities will this help
QUOTE Thanks
DarkestRitual

DarkestRitual is just really niceDarkestRitual is just really niceDarkestRitual is just really niceDarkestRitual is just really nice

What computer. Desktop or laptop. Is the hard drive encrypted? Get a Linux bootable flash drive and hold option at start up.
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by acoxie View Post
Tried all options. Still opens on home screen and need admin password to proceed which I have not got. If I erase HD in utilities will this help
Booting off the DVD is the easiest way to do it. Try this instead:
- Boot your Mac normally
- Insert the DVD
- Open System Preferences > Startup Disk and see if you can select the DVD there
- Then press Restart…

If that doesn't work, try restarting your Mac again and keep holding the option key for as long as it takes until you see the options to choose between your internal drive or a DVD.

If that doesn't work, make a genius bar appointment at your local Apple store and ask them to take a quick look for you.
QUOTE Thanks
DarkestRitual

Yes. Formatting the HD will help. It will erase all data, though. Anyway, I'm not sure why you can't boot into single user mode, you must have done it incorrectly. Not trying to sound like a jerk, just trying to help. I'm not sure your level of familiarity with Apple hardware, so you might be trying to do something like tapping on the keys. It's not like starting up into an option on a windows box, you can't tap the keys. You have to press and hold them both immediately after hitting the power button and DO NOT let go until a different screen comes up. Command and S should yield the command line. If you do not know her user name, then once in the command line, type: cd /Users
then hit return
and then type: ls
and hit return again

The output of that command should yield the directory "Shared" and then whatever the user account names are. then you want to do what i told you to do above...

Code:
mount -uw /
lauchctl load /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.DirectoryServices.plist
dscl . -passwd /Users/username password
replacing "username" with the user account (if there is more than one, just write your new password to every account with that last command for every different user) and password with the password you want it to be. you have to put something in it, it can't just be blank. Make it "dogpoop" or whatever you want.

Then type "exit" and the machine will reboot into the regular mac OS. log in with the new admin password when you get prompted for it.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Problems installing Tiger | Installing OSX onto new HDD w/out disc »